Scenes Emos and Goths...There's a difference! | Teen Ink

Scenes Emos and Goths...There's a difference!

By Shayla Smith BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
Shayla Smith BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

As much as I hate to be stereotyped by others, I am stereotyped as your weird, out of place Scene chic. I like the odd things in life, I’m uber immature, uber loud, I’m random, outgoing, hardly ever serious, and of course, I’m head over heals in love with screamo{which is a type of music if you didn’t know}and rainbows. I usually wear black, gray, or white (mainly black), skinny jeans and have my hair in my face. I know who I am and I don’t want to admit it, but I am actually the definition of “average Scene”.

When I walk down the hallway or even when I’m not in school, people randomly walk up to me and ask: “Hey are you Goth?” or someone might say: “Go cry Emo kid!” and I find that so freaking irritating! I’m not Goth and I’m not Emo! Anyways, I thought I should take the time to explain the difference between the three.

I think we should start with my stereotype- Scene. “Scene kids” are uber childish a lot of the time. We like little kid things. For instance, I absolutely love playing on the playground at the park, Winnie the Pooh, Hello Kitty, and finger painting. Another thing I like to do that throws me in the classification as Scene is my odd love of Rainbows. I also love to listen to music, mainly any type of rock (screamo being my fave), that is not really known. Scene kids, especially me, are loud and never really take life seriously. There are many other things that make me a Scene kid but by now, well I’m sure you get the idea.

Next I’ll explain the stereotype Emo. Well first of all, I should make this clear; all Emo kids do NOT cut them selves! That’s just a myth. Don’t believe that. People who cut them selves are called cutters. Back to the main subject, Emos. Emo is believed by some people to be short for emotional, which I’m not a hundred percent sure about. It was originally just a style of music. Emo is pretty much punk with emotion. It’s all about showing people your inner self. Usually, Emo kids are depressed but not always. They have other emotions too. This stereotype is confused with scene because of the style of clothes and the music we listen to is pretty similar. Though, Emo kids also listen to Indie music which isn’t uber popular amongst us Scene kids who prefer more hardcore music.

Lastly is the Goth stereotype. This one is a bit of a tuffy considering I’ve never actually socialized with one before. Goths are usually very dark people who wear all black 24/7. Oh yeah, Goths do not worship the devil. None of the stereotypes I’m describing does. People who worship the devil are called Satanist. Anyway, people in the Goth stereotype only tend to socialize with other Goths. They feel comfortable being around people like them. Goths, of course, usually listen to classic gothic rock or new gothic rock, metal (all kinds), industrial, classical, techno, punk, rock etc. It really depends on the person actually. Marilyn Manson is a popular artist in this stereotype (though I love his music as well). They wear black pretty much all the time, but, on some occasions, will where other dark colors.

By now I’m sure you really understand the difference between these three stereotypes. It’s a shock how many differences there are between each one. There are pretty much only two similarities between all groups: one is the way we dress, two being the music we like. Though, both Emo and Goth are similar in that they are shunned by society. I hope you really get what the message this paper is sending. One more thing, don’t become a poser after you’ve read this. If you don’t know what a poser is (but I’m sure you do) it’s a person who tries to fit in with a stereotype. No one likes posers.

on Mar. 24 2015 at 10:35 am
MajesticLilCupcakeForever, Belpre, Ohio
i agree, just be yourself and if someone else wants to label you who cares that's their problem lolz

on Mar. 24 2015 at 10:34 am
MajesticLilCupcakeForever, Belpre, Ohio
i just say.. agreed.

on Mar. 17 2015 at 6:30 am
RavenLisaStorm, N/A, Other

The night is my every day, but in the darkness of the night, the light that is there without the stars is my saviour, he is the light that pulls me from the darkness although my days are the night, and keeps me safe.

i agree very much i am a goth myself and there is a kid in my school who keeps saying along with others that goths and emos are the same thing it honestly does my head in they also make fun of people who actually cut themselves very good paragraph, respects to you im always stereo typed myself goth emo or not it doesnt matter i just dont liuke them who try to fit in with the stereo types and pose it goths dont always where dark colours either they mostly wear red purple electric blue, sometimes even pink and white im glad someone parshly understands

BrandonSmidy said...
on Feb. 17 2015 at 12:44 am
I reallly liked that u explained all three personalitys or styles. Because it is a pain in the butt when people insult people like us and get everything wrong! Im more of a goth myself but i wouldn't exactly call my self any of them. im kind of all of them in one. If u undetstand what i mean?

I just wanted to say scremo is not a genre of music. The correct genre would be metalcore, deathmetal, deathcoreor you could clump it all together under alternitive. Do ever hear bands saying that they are a screamo band? No, well because its not a genre. Also I wanted to say that emo, punk, goth and scene are all lame sterotypes and that you shouldn't feed into them.

KarKatVantas said...
KarKatVantas, San Diego, California

"The duty of youth is to challenge corruption" -Kurt D. Cobain

Why label yourself?

Nightprawler said...
Thank your for clearing up this difference! I'm emo but its irritating to be described as goth or scene >.<

Angelnight16 BRONZE, Heuvelton, New York

"i used to be normal... until i met those people who i now call my friends."

thanks for writing it. now we just have to get eveyone elsr to read it and maybe finally they will understand that there is a DIFFERENCE. people at my school tell im goth or emo. but they belive the stereotypes. its actually annoying

on Nov. 30 2010 at 10:13 am
Sky_Skitsofrantic BRONZE, Huntsville, Arkansas

things that some one must always have:
1:eyeliner
2: lucky shoes
3: a SPORK!

Thank you SOOOO much for clearing the air about this i wrote an article similar to this one, but it was mostly just about scene kids.

forgotten94 GOLD, Henderson, Nevada

“Undermine their pompous authority, reject their moral standards, make anarchy and disorder your trademarks. Cause as much chaos and disruption as possible but don’t let them take you ALIVE.”

i love u cuz u mentioned manson, im emo and i dont cutt so thanks 4 truly understanding me.

on Jun. 13 2009 at 4:00 am
Kasandra BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

be yourself because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

haha i just wanted to comment this. haha u forgot... scene's are very colorful!! thats like a main point there [: nice job shayla ((shaylerr))

Gothic_Angel said...
on Jun. 6 2009 at 3:21 am
Gothic_Angel, Houma, Louisiana
thank u for writig somethng liek this. i agree becaue i gothic and emo an people tel me t go raise the devil and cut myself but thats not what gothics and emos do.U were very right with this article and i thank for sticking to the facts. i absolutly love this artcle and i hope people realize that it is true!

breezer11 GOLD said...
on Jun. 6 2009 at 12:13 am
breezer11 GOLD, Cinci, Ohio
I agree. I hate people who are beleive steryotypes. your right. theres a difference between emos and cutters, Satanist's and goths, Scene kids and emo kids and goth people. i like this essay and i hope it helps stop some steryotypical thoughts. good job!