The Great Gatsby Song Analysis | Teen Ink

The Great Gatsby Song Analysis

One song included in The Great Gatsby soundtrack that portrays the relationship between Gatsby and Daisy is “Young and Beautiful,” by Lana Del Rey. This song specifically shows Daisy’s fear of losing her beauty, wealth, glamour and Gatsby. The main reason why Gatsby falls in love with Daisy is because of the beauty, wealth, and glamour she represents, so it shows Daisy’s concern if Gatsby loves her once her beauty and glamour is gone: “Will you still love me when I’ve got nothing but my aching soul?” This also shows the concern of many Americans during the twenties. Americans always focussed on wealth and glamour, which made Americans wonder what happened if all that beauty and glamour. Would the American Dream disappear too? The song also focuses on the theme of Gatsby and Daisy reminiscing of the of how their relationship used to be, so they can somehow salvage it. The song expresses how Daisy has already seen the world and its beauty and all she wants from life is authentic love: “I’ve seen the world, lit it up as my stage now...And all the ways, I got to know your pretty face and electric soul.” This also shows the mood of Americans during this time. The Great Gatsby takes place during the twenties where people are living in a delusion of fakeness, wealth, and glamour. Americans think this is the American dream, but in reality, the only thing Americans want is authenticity they once had before the war. The song, “Young and Beautiful,” by Lana Del Rey shows the specific themes such as the what consisted of the American Dream and how the dream is revealed in The Great Gatsby through characters and their situations.

Another song from The Great Gatsby soundtrack that greatly expresses the attitude during the twenties is, “A Little Party Never Killed Nobody,” by Fergie, Q Tip, and GoonRock. This song greatly reflects the mindset of Americans during this time. The twenties took place after World War I, which left the world in an age of anxiety and created a loss of hope in Americans. The war fought by many Americans left a devastating consequence of Americans not knowing the future could bring, so they lived by the mindset of living in the moment with various parties and thoughtless lifestyles: “A little party never killed nobody, right here, right now’s all we got.” This mindset shown in the song is the element shown in The Great Gatsby. People would go to Gatsby’s elaborate parties to forget about their reality and live in the moment. This song also shows the illusion Americans lived in during the twenties. Americans lived off the idea of wealth and glamour, so they lived in an illusion that life was a party with an unlimited amount of riches: “Fake chit chat ’bout the things they got.” In The Great Gatsby, fake wealth and doing whatever it takes to achieve wealth is shown through characters. For example, Jordan Baker cheats her way through golf tournaments to maintain her social status and wealth. Then, Gatsby becomes wealthy by illegally selling alcohol. This shows the extent that people would go to achieve wealth and the idea of the American dream. The song, “A Little Party Never Killed Nobody,” shows the theme of living in an illusion of wealth and glamour and doing anything to achieve it that is shown in The Great Gatsby.

This piece analyzes two songs from The Great Gatsby soundtrack.