Homework: Yes or No | Teen Ink

Homework: Yes or No

May 12, 2019
By Anonymous

Having homework is a heated topic among both teachers and students. Many kids and teens would most likely agree that homework takes too much time, and it adds to stress but others would agree that homework is helpful. Those who actually do homework have different opinions from those who do not have to do homework, and that is where there is conflict. Many parents do not know how much homework their child is truly doing and if it actually helps them, only the student knows. Homework should be given to help students, but it also should be optional. Many kids and teens usually receive homework from each class they take and are expected to turn it in by the next class. Homework can range from having to do a worksheet to writing an essay, and even studying for a test or quiz. Homework can take a very long time to complete and takes up most of a students free time. Because of homework, many kids have to give up after school activities or clubs since homework takes up a majority of their time. Many students now, come home, do homework, eat, and sleep. This routine occurs 5 days out of the week, and those other 2 days are also usually filled with doing homework, as well as having free time. Homework can also affect a student in a negative way. Stress and anxiety can come from doing homework and can add to the many problems a student might have. Students already have the stress of trying to make good grades, and on top of that, making them complete homework all in one night for multiple classes can soon get to them. However, many teachers and adults would agree that homework is useful. Homework can allow a student to grasp the understanding of the subject they are learning, and it will help them excel in the classroom. By being able to put what they learned in the classroom on a piece of paper can test if a student fully understands a topic. From there, a student or teacher would be able to tell if they needed help or not. Homework can either be helpful or not helpful for a student, but it depends on the person and their situation. A student might be really good at math, and understands everything immediately and doing homework does not help them, it just adds to the amount of work they have to do. On the other hand, a student might not be the best at math, and homework helps them understand the topic better. Homework should be optional because everyone is not the same and most do not think alike. For some, homework is useful, but for others, it is useless.