IS Optimism Necessary in Our Society? | Teen Ink

IS Optimism Necessary in Our Society?

Hopefulness and the confidence about the future or the successful outcome of something, that is what optimism is. Optimism is a very important issue for many people in our society today. Many people, most importantly young adults and children, struggle with optimism in their everyday lives and with having optimism even at all. Many factors, like a person’s stress level, temptations like drugs and alcohol, obesity, and even the changing of the economy itself can cause a shift in a person’s optimism and how they view the world around them. Even in a world without problems people still wouldn’t have the positive views they have right now without optimism.

Optimism is about hope and positive attitudes. Without optimism in the world, even if it weren’t full of problems, it wouldn’t be very joyful. Everyone would just be going around living their lives but without a purpose in doing so. In your life right now, think of some of your favorite videos you’ve seen and movies or TV shows that you’ve watched. If you were watching them without optimism, would you still enjoy them as much if you didn’t have optimism that they were good movies? Optimism provides for the highest form of enjoyment that you can get out of any situation. Optimism is the hope and joy that occurs in your life and without it you wouldn’t experience those things.  

In an article published by verywellmind, it states multiple reasons at why optimism is important in a person’s everyday life. In the article, it talks about a study that was taken at Harvard University. In the study, it was observed that out of 99 students at Harvard who were optimists, before and up to the age of 25, live longer and more healthy lives than those without optimism. They linked pessimism to living a shorter life and even having a higher chance of possibly killing yourself. Along with the study from Harvard, the article talks about your emotional health and what it can do for you. People who have more optimism in their lives it says, will have a higher chance of not doing life changing drugs and were more able to handle future setbacks in their life that they weren’t prepared for. It also says that having optimism in your life will drastically help your stress levels in life. And being a high school student who has both schoolwork and sports at the same time, optimism would really help in the stress portion. Optimism not only helps the way you view things in your life, but it also helps yourself in your daily life and in the long run.

Optimism is not just a way that people live or how they act. It affects more than most people know and believe. Optimism is the glue that keeps your relationships with other people together. It keeps the happiness that everyone wants in their lives. Without it, you’d be nothing. Pessimists in life like to curl themselves up in a corner in a dark room and lock the door then throw away the key. Pessimists don’t look at life the way that optimists do and that’s what changes the way they view the world and the people around them. Without optimism in the world, there would be no enjoyment and no happiness in anyone’s lives. Would you enjoy your life if you couldn’t ever look at things on the bright side and with happiness? Even if the whole world was free of problems and we were able to live our lives with no worries, optimism would still need to be vital in our society. I stated that optimism is the glue that holds all people together but its really the glue that keeps the world together.

I got a prompt about optimism from my teacher and decided to research and write about it