The Blame Game | Teen Ink

The Blame Game

By Djandary20 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
Djandary20 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

The monotonous nature of school allows the minute sources of annoyance build up as the days blend together. Continuous repetition of similar activities makes the insignificant moments more prominent than they should be. Over time, I have noticed that this only worsens, to the point where some topics become seemingly unavoidable. However, if these situations occur enough to be this noticeable, there must be significance somewhere lying beneath it all. Junior year has brought this frustrating trait of school to the center of my attention because it revealed similarities between these inescapable instances. As this year finally began, the difficulty of classes increased heavily which took some adjusting, the complaining had begun. These complaints came from many sources but shared a single concept: the blame falls on some outside influence. This was understandable because of the overwhelming workload presented at the start, which is why I expected it to fade, but to my dismay, it did not. Day after day,

“My teacher did this.”

“We weren’t taught this.”

“I didn’t know. They should have been more clear.”

Soon the inability to accept blame was a pet peeve that had already fully developed in my mind, each time annoying me further. It was a dreadful sight, people gathered in groups eating their lunch with anger, sharing stories as they messily completed homework assignments. Everyone became a product of their circumstances, convincing themselves that their life is a fluke and they always deserve more. Each negative situation takes control of their decisions and attitude. Every okay grade or frantic study session has a root cause—a point where the blame could be passed onto the easiest target. Respect for those teaching us seems to be at an all-time low; the value of guidance has depreciated in the eyes of students all across the globe. I am not alone in this realization, a recent survey questions differences between the past and present when it comes to teacher appreciation. Unsurprisingly, “The percentage of respondents who agreed with the statement “students respect teachers” dropped from 79% to 31%.” (Toppo). These adults recognize this difference in respect and they are not even present in the classroom, it has become so apparent that outside witnesses are able to observe it clearly. Another survey was based on a different point of view, the students. Around 400,000 students in varying grades and schools all contributed, making the results a decent indication of what thoughts students have about the issues presented to them. Specifically, “Students surveyed only recorded 39% respect for their teachers.” (Hare). Not even half the students felt respect for the people shaping their minds. I have tried to figure out why, why do these conversations appear more frequently than ever. I finally recalled the structure of the discussions I have observed and why it is so important, it is always similar to:

“I can’t believe my teacher did this.”

“The same thing happened to me, why do they always act like this?”

“I wish I had a good teacher, I would have an A.”

“Yeah, it’s so unfair.”

These conversations clearly vary heavily but typically are in this style, which is telling of why this blame culture has spiraled out of control. Students build off of each other, sharing experiences they believe to be unfair or out of their control and validate one another, often multiple times. In many scenarios more students add on, increasing the magnitude of the issue. These interactions construct towers of blame, all usually directed towards a single source. Each person takes it further and further, sharing seemingly endless amounts of “evidence”, desperately trying to prove their innocence. This eventually ends in convincing one another that they all deserve much more and that their lives are void of impacts caused by themselves. Looks of satisfaction and accomplishment take over once the goal is reached, ignoring reality temporarily giving a sense of pride. The logic is covered up by impulsive sentences, all meant to erase the mistakes that cannot be accepted.

I truly hope that the negative side effects of this behavior are obvious. The issue is that without placing the blame on yourself, there is no reason to grow. If you are a product of your circumstances, where is there room to improve or change, especially if you believe that through and through. A world without choices and control is one devoid of motivation and purpose. This all ties in with the entitled culture present in the United States especially, a feeling that arises from a lack of challenges in one’s life or a missing moral compass. Anything that does not concern the person’s happiness or prosperity is passed off as a waste of time while they ignore it, using any of the thousands of vices available. Faces consumed by judgment stare at those who oppose this lifestyle. This issue instills fear in me for the future, which is why it has been such a large concern recently. There is a reason why passing on blame over and over is titled “The Blame Game”, a game is childish in nature. This immaturity is unacceptable, there is no place for it. Accepting responsibility has been a valued concept since childhood yet some of us so close to adulthood have forgotten it. Feeling entitled is dangerous, the world is a treacherous place and will not take what is deserved into account. The attitudes toward failure in my own generation cause me to believe that many people may fall down in the future with such great force that permanent damage will be the result for decades to come. Not being accustomed to the way life pushes you down is disastrous. Adaptability is a trait that has no replacement.

Works Cited

Hare, Jill. “Survey Reveals What Students Really Think of Teachers.” Teachingcom : Where Teachers Meet and Learn, teaching.monster.com/benefits/articles/7007-survey-reveals-what-students-really-think-of-teachers.

Toppo, Greg. “Respect at School in Decline, Survey Shows.” USA Today, Gannett Satellite Information Network, 23 Jan. 2014, www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/23/respect-schools-teachers-parents-students/4789283/.

I was inspired to write this piece because of what I have seen around school lately, even for the last few years. I have been thinking about it constantly so I wanted to put my thoughts out there and write about them. I hope that people realize how important it is to accept blame and grow from it in order to become a better person.