Man of Color | Teen Ink

Man of Color

By Toualee GOLD, Sacramento, California
Toualee GOLD, Sacramento, California

"If I don't have to do it, I won't do it. If I have to do it, make it quick."-Oreki Houtarou

High school students should more about people of color. In high school, students study people thats been already studied over and over. They need someone who speaks out for his people such as Tupac Shakur.

Tupac, one of the greatest rappers, of all time was born in New York in 1971. His mom was a black panther and was a drug addict. They were homeless many times and were poor, they moved to different places to avoid problems. Tupac moved to Baltimore and to California. When he was in California that’s when he starts writing poetry. He read many books and was a great poet. His poems describes a lot of what he been through and what he sees. Duality shows his dual peronas, even though he’s a thug, he’s a good man.

Tupac poetry was phenomenal, because he writes from his perspective of the things he gone through. When he writes his poetry in Baltimore, he was a nerdy guy. People thinks he looks funny and the girls there said he was too nice. Michael Eric Dyson states,“To them he looked funny, like some of square rejected type”. This means Tupac was soft, from how he looks to how he is. He was an educated nut which makes him who he is, reading and writing was what he loved.

High school students should study Tupac because he’s determine to make a change, he’s tired to see how things are. Michael Eric Dyson states, ”Tupac was a committed and fearless visionary determined to make a difference, not only on the music screen but in the black community.” This means that Tupac isn’t the type to sit around and do nothing, he takes action for his community. I made a change of how things are in my life, I do the same things everyday and it's bugging me, so i did things differently of how my routine in life will be. I learned that if you want to try out something new, just do it. He may be unhappy at times and emotional but deep inside him, he’s still who he was back then when he was a nerdy teenager.

He was the voice of his people, he’s an activist. He speaks from what he thinks and encourages young black males to do right things. He’s just a Thug and a rapper but he aint that way, he was a nobody to a legend. He raps from the back of his throat and words that splashes into his head. Even though he died people still listens to his music and his legacy still lives on.

High school students should study Tupac because he is a person of color. He acts on his view on the colors of people. He shot two cops and do things a thug will do, like smoking weed. Till this day people still say that Tupac is a bad guy and a good guy. But in the end, he's just a thug that raps.

What inspired me is that Tupac is a intresting guy and is worth studying.