The Homework Epidemic | Teen Ink

The Homework Epidemic

December 7, 2018
By mains21 BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
mains21 BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A problem that is common amongst many high school students is being over-burdened by homework. Teenagers often feel the need to prioritize homework over all other aspects of life.  While it is very important, homework shouldn’t consume our entire lives. We are taught that school and grades should come before anything else, and that can sometimes become harmful. More often than not, I find myself working late into the night, resulting in a lack of focus the next day.  Large amounts of homework can also heighten stress for teens.  After school, there is little to no time for any other activities besides homework. Juggling extra-curricular activities, social life, family time, jobs, and homework after school is seemingly impossible. Each of these things is essential to brain development. Homework sometimes even cuts into the weekend, a time which is meant for us to relax and have time for ourselves. I almost always have to dedicate a whole day to doing homework, which can be hard on busy weekends. Each of these reasons can damage our developing brains.  Schools should be concerned with the whole student, not just the mind, but the body and soul as well.

The are many solutions that can help alleviate each of these problems. Our block schedule already lessens the workload more than a seven-class schedule would, but it still isn’t enough. I suggest that teachers only assign approximately thirty minutes of homework per class each night. This will allow students to have more time to recuperate after the school day.  If this cannot be done, then I think that we should have a longer I.S. period. It takes me almost the entire period just to get one assignment done. With a longer I.S. period, students would have more time to complete assignments. Teachers should not be allowed to assign homework over the weekends. This time off is necessary for students to have time for themselves, not to be bogged down with more work. These solutions can create a less stressful environment for students to learn in which will, in the end, improve the educational experience.

Lessening the workload will eliminate the need for students to choose between personal health or obligations and completing their schoolwork, helping with stress, and making it easier to focus in class. With less assigned homework or more I.S. time, students will no longer need to stay up late doing homework. Well-rested students are better prepared to learn while in class. Then, students would be able to do things besides homework after school as well. Without weekend assignments, students would have more time to pursue their personal interests. These changes would help students overall happiness and health. Adjusting our current approach to homework would help manage stress levels, create a calm and supportive environment, and help students focus and learn more.