The Mandela Effect: Why Are People Convinced That It’s Real | Teen Ink

The Mandela Effect: Why Are People Convinced That It’s Real

January 23, 2018
By jt2002 BRONZE, Morristown, New Jersey
jt2002 BRONZE, Morristown, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

The mysterious occurrences of things that many people believe but actually never happen can make you think of infinite possibilities about our universe. You might be asking yourself, “Why do people actually believe in this theory at all”(Broome), or “What is the point of all of this?”(Novella) The human brain is mostly regulated  on opinions of what is mostly thought of by regular people want to think and what the people believe is right, so in hindsight, people think that this major event happened in a different way. The Mandela Effect can alter how we recollect our memories before having to check to make sure that it is right. These are the many examples of what people have to prove that the Mandela Effect is real.


Nelson Mandela is one of the most prevalent  South African leader during the 90s  and what he has done is one of the biggest pieces of evidence for the speculation of the Mandela Effect (Aamontd). Nelson Mandela was said to have died on December 5, 2013, although some people also recall him dying in prison. Fiona Broome, a scientist researching the Mandela Effect, was one of the people who had thought that she knew Mandela died in the 80s (Broome).  She was then convinced that the Mandela Effect was real and then wanted to research more about it. Just the amount of effort that researchers have put into the study of the Mandela effect.  Although Nelson Mandela and his accomplishments have proved to be a good piece of evidence for the topic, the Berenstain Bears are another great example that people forget about.


The Berenstain bears is a good point as to why people might believe in the Mandela effect. People often mistake the misspelling of the Berenstain Bears as “Bernstein.” Many people were apart of the group who thought the name was spelled “Bernstein” the entire time. This created a buzz on the internet and gave the Mandela effect more popularity. For a TV and book series, this is insane as to how people can mistake it for something else. All people do make mistakes, but is it just faulty memory or the Mandela Effect. Just like the Berenstain Bears, there are more examples of the Mandela Effect.


The Mandela Effect has examples that might seem irrelevant, yet can make a promising case. A few examples of such are that Chick-fil-a has been spelled wrong by many people (Hudspeth). This isn’t as bad since it isn’t an antique piece of evidence like the Berenstain Bears. Everyone has known about the Berenstain Bears. Another example is that people often remember a dash on a Kit Kat bar which never existed. Most of this is just to how the brand name is two separate words and it is always assumed to put a dash in between. Another example is that Rich Uncle Pennybags, the guy on the monopoly game cover, has a monocle yet this assumption is incorrect. This might be due to fake companies trying to imposter Pennybags but the original company had uncle Pennybags without a monocle. These are only the small differences as there are very obvious ones that you have never learned.


One of the biggest quotes in the film industry in a movie is actually not what you think. In Star Wars, the second movie, Darth Vader upon Luke, he says “No, I am your father” instead of “Luke, I am your father.” The quote has been so misused for the past few decades, it is somewhat very surprising(Aamondt). People have definitely realized and have wondered why people use the fake quote so much.  This can be a very good reason why this is real due to the amount of recognition that the fake quote actually has. Star Wars was most likely the biggest piece of evidence since its popularity triumphs over the other examples.


These are why people believe the Mandela Effect is real. Scientist and neurologists are studying on how the brain functions and diving deeper into the growth of it’s new ideas and how important it is for other people. For example, there are football players who donate their brains when they die to study concussions and their loss of memory. All people are different and the reasoning is that people’s brains are different from others. The people stand by their ideas or opinions whether they are right or wrong.