Self-Guide: How to Get Over Depression | Teen Ink

Self-Guide: How to Get Over Depression

By SavannahSort30 BRONZE, Decatur, Georgia
SavannahSort30 BRONZE, Decatur, Georgia

When you’re depressed, you feel like you hate life and that you’d rather not be around to live through it. I’m sure we’ve all had those moments at least once in our lives but there are better ways to cope with it rather than resorting to self-harm, suicide, etc. In this article, I’d like to list you four ways to cope with depression.

1. Distract Yourself
Sometimes it’s better to distract yourself with something. Explore new things. You never know what talents you might find. When I get particularly angry or just depressed, I find that drawing and sketching art comes out best. It’s probably because I’m putting my emotions into something else and that’s why it comes out better than usual. There are many things you can try such as art, exercising, communicating, writing, etc. If you really feel endangered and that you might resort extremes, I recommend talking to someone you trust. If you feel there is no one, then try calling a hotline.

2. Therapy
One other thing is therapy. If you find that you probably have an internal issue that you have never been willing to admit to someone that you care about, then you should probably consider getting it off your chest to someone else. Sometimes it’s easier to tell a stranger, other times it isn’t. The therapist will usually ask you questions and try to make you feel as comfortable as possible. After a few sessions, perhaps they can figure out what the problem is and recommend more ways for you fix the problem so that you can be at peace. Therapy comes in many ways. You don’t always have to pay a stranger to help you. You can consult with your close friends or family or whoever you trust enough to go to with your problems.

3. Let Nature Take Over
Nature has more healing properties than any form of mental help I know. Sometimes just looking at the trees and the sky can help you more than you know. I’d recommend going to the park. Usually, you will feel positive vibes from simple things such as children laughing and playing with each other and small animals that are probably scurrying up trees. Hearing laughter from innocent children may help your mental state just a little. You wouldn’t want to feel depressed when a small child with bright, innocent eyes is looking up at you, asking to play with you, right?

4. Surround Yourself With Good People and Good Things
It’s hard to be depressed when you’re surrounded by things that make you feel better constantly. Sometimes socializing will help if you meet the right people or person. You never really know who you’ll meet and when; they could be the just the person you’ve needed all this time! Music is another thing that can help you out. If you find the right music, you’ll be able to zone out and escape from reality, even if it’s only for a few minutes.

Remember to eat right, and get plenty of sleep. Sleep deprivation is also a contributing factor in depression. Remember that you’re smart, you’re beautiful/handsome and you can do anything you put your mind to!

I was inspired to write this based on personal experiences with myself, friends and acquaintances that I've met that have had similar experiences. I want people to be aware of depression, but instead of just saying that it's a problem, I want to list ways to deal with it.