Are Your Devices Slowly Harming You? | Teen Ink

Are Your Devices Slowly Harming You?

By QA.was.here BRONZE, Ho Chi Minh, Other
QA.was.here BRONZE, Ho Chi Minh, Other

Today, we are in a world where there are cars dashing down streets, mind-boggling 3D printers that could print anything from a lego mini figure to an airplane. We often hear elders and adults say “We didn’t have any of these in our days our children are too depended on these devices and computers” and we tend to ignore it but the question remains. Are we too dependent on technology? I must admit that I am way too attached to my phone it seems that every 10 minutes I would pick up my phone or my laptop. Technology has got its perks over the years, and it has gotten us to the place that we are now. But are we too reliant on it?

Twenty years ago, before the internet was as advanced as now, there was no Facebook, no Twitter, and no Youtube. There were no electric cars, no smartphones, and no wireless internet. These were the times where people had to search the dictionary for a definition of a word. Children back then had to go out with their friends, staying late out at night until they were called by their parents back home. Now, I can’t imagine a day where I don’t use my phone or laptop; I will go back, turn on the computer and get trapped in my room for hours. Children nowadays do not even know how to use a dictionary all they have to do is copy and paste the word into Google, and the work is done for them; out pops the definition. Children now are always stuck in their rooms staring their eyes at their computer screens, talking to no one.

Nowadays, things as laptops, iPads, phones are incredibly harmful. Even though they are astonishingly useful, they allow us to do this we couldn’t imagine of like emails, games, music were possible with these devices being so close to us. About 56 % of children ages 8 to 12 uses a phone. Research shows computer eye problems are common. “Somewhere between 50% and 90% of people who work on a computer screen have at least some symptoms of eye trouble.”  Not only that, when you look at something in a distance your eyes will automatically blink at a different rate. However looking at closer thing make your eyes blink slower. So for people who already have drier eyes than the general population including contact lens wearers whose lenses sit on top of the tear film staring closely at a screen for long periods can exacerbate dryness and cause itching, strong blinking and grit collection in the eyes.” This could cause a lot of damage to your eyes after an extended period of time. “Your eyes not only decrease the blink rate, it also converges it slightly. The pupils get smaller, muscles in the eye adjust the size of the lens, and the two eyes have to converge. So spending hours looking at the screen of your computer keeps the eyes converged and strain the eyes causing a headache on the user.” This was stated by the Eye Health Center.  For example, I have been using computers, iPhone and iPad for most of my life. I’m wearing glasses; I’m not socializing.

The paragraph on top made sense but it fails to consider that, the reason all of these were invented was to aid and help us throughout our lives. It is like an older brother, they help you through difficult times, pick you up when you have fallen. If technology was not constantly evolving, we would never have such things as refrigerators or electricity. Without the aid of technology, we would be an extremely primitive society. I also think that people are too dependent on technology. This is a perfect representation of how our society functions. We could do without the aid of technology, but it could be difficult to adjust to it. Nothing can stop the growth and advancement of our society.

In conclusion, yes, I think that people are dependent on these devices, but that does not make technology an awful thing. We need it, and we have made it into a must to our lives. Technology is our evolution. Now with cars roaming around the city incredibly fast computers able to process at a fraction of second even robots could becoming bartenders. Technology has evolved to such unusual things. To conclude my point, yes, we are too dependent on technology, and it is no one else’s fault but ours. The technology was made to help us, not to be a drug. It was crafted by incredibly talented people. Finally, I would say: someone could be completely closed off from the world, but the world would still advance.