Perfect | Teen Ink

Perfect

Scrolling through my instagram feed, I am surrounded by images of pretty people, wearing pretty clothes, doing amazing things. Often times as I take a glimpse into these people’s lives I find myself asking questions like, “Why do I not look like that?” “Why don’t I have long legs like her?” “Why is my face so disproportional while this girl has the facial features of an angle?” Why? Why? Why? I let myself get caught up in the “perfect” lives of “perfect” people, most of which I don’t even know. Susceptible to even the slightest influence, I am easily set off thinking about all that I lack. I allow myself to be beaten up over things that are completely out of my control. Things that, in the long run, do not even matter.

Seeing that I am not the only insecure human being with self esteem problems and an Instagram or Twitter account, I imagine that other people have these problems too. That other people out in society wish that they were someone they are not. In this day and age where technology, advertising, and social media surround everyone, with images of “perfect” people everywhere, it would be hard for a person not to be insecure and self conscious about who they are or who they are wearing.

People have developed unrealistic standards for themselves and others. Social media and advertising, especially, have played a big role in society’s idea of beauty. Everyday people view commercials and Instagram posts, magazines, and countless other forms of media that all factor in the to create their idea of beauty. Every way a person turns there seem to be images of celebrities and models showing off skinny, well-proportioned bodies, and immaculate hair and makeup. These influences also affect the way a person feels about themselves, causing them to feel as though they are not good enough, not pretty enough, and not “perfect.” This image of the perfect body and essentially the perfect lifestyle are slowly becoming ingrained in the minds of society, causing many to lose sight of who they truly are.

Along with fuelling personal insecurities, technology, advertising, and social media, all parts of pop culture, also have an effect on people’s view of others. This idea of “perfect” that has become second nature to anyone exposed to the world of today, also affects society’s opinions of everyone around them. As people pass each other on the street the opinions they form of each other are born from the ideas society has taught them. In order to further understand others, people turn to stereotyping and grouping based on qualities society says are bad. There are countless examples of negative stereotypes: obese, stupid, nerd, jock, and the list goes on and on. These are just some of the ways that society uses to judge and discriminate, to find fault in what is not even faulty.

In using technology and social media, it is important to know how to balance the effect we let these things have on our lives. To not get caught up in what we and the ones around us do not have or do not look like. It is important to find balance, to find the sweet spot between understanding the world as it develops and being able to appreciate simple things like family, and friends. We must balance our lives in order to live them as fully as possible.