A Sentence | Teen Ink

A Sentence

What is a sentence? Is it a set of words that is complete in itself, typically containing a subject and predicate, conveying a statement ? Lots of people are merely remembered today just by a sentence. If I where to ask you who was Thomas Edison was ? I would get a typical response that, He invented the light bulb and famously said "I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work." This is interesting because Edison was much more then he is remembered by but we live in a world that mass information is a so easily accessible that we remember so little.

Today also, the world we live in has events which will never be lost because of the internet but forgotten amongst a community, for example it is predicted by 2036, 9/11 will be forgotten, what does this say about people? It proves that if people start to forget some thing so significant about their history less then 40 years after it has occurred we must pass on some thing simple to at least remember it by. This is because people today like simplicity and just one sentence is some thing that can be easily be passed on and remembered throughout a life time.

This brings to my attention to my sentence. What is a sentence that I want to leave this planet with? What do I hope to accomplish that will compel people to pass my sentence to tell their children 40 years from now? The problem is I'm not sure yet. I aspire to be nice to as many people as I can and leave a good impression on them. Even if it is a random stranger or a good friend I want them to say "wow he was a really nice guy". At the same time in the future I want to aspire to become a plastic surgeon, where I can restore confidence in people such as burn patient and people who are unhappy with their body. This will let people live happier in life. The funny thing about what I want my sentence to be can be completely different from what other people might say it is, and thats why I can't ever really choose my sentence. Maybe Thomas Edison wanted to be remembered by his work in the motion picture camera but that isn't his sentence today. Over all his sentence was a positive one and if 50 years from now people have a sentence for me, and I hope is tells people that I was a well rounded successful doctor.