Music Is Another Form of Literacy | Teen Ink

Music Is Another Form of Literacy

January 24, 2016
By Fayez2000 BRONZE, Riyadh, Other
Fayez2000 BRONZE, Riyadh, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There are many other ways that we can communicate and express ourselves than by reading and writing. There are many other forms of literacy that we are capable of learning. But we tend to look past them because people direct us towards education and language, and so we think they are our only options, but the truth is, there are many other forms of literacy that we can adapt to if we look for them. Throughout my life, I have pursued music, and played several musical instruments, but it wasn’t until I started to learn the piano and the cello that I have really developed a passion for it.
         

I remember hearing my aunt play the piano when I was around seven years old and it wasn’t until that point that I realized that music was a form of communication, a form of expressing yourself, a form of literacy. I made my parents buy me a piano, and soon after, I was taking my first lessons. I became skilled and I have been told that I have a future in music. I even have a video on YouTube playing a piece I had practiced (but don’t search for it). My parents told me it was a gift, a natural talent, and that I should focus on both education and arts. After about five years of playing the piano, I decided to take a break, and stop my lessons and practice, and look for another instrument to play. I wanted to learn something totally different. Today, I find myself playing the cello, a wonderful string instrument that requires hard work and effort.


When I was in 6th grade, we were required to take an art course, and so I originally enrolled in band, where I wanted to play the flute, but when I learned how to play "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" on the cello, I thought I was an amazing player and joined the orchestra. I always look forward to having orchestra because it’s one of two classes I take that isn’t focused on the traditional education, reading and writing. It is a class that's unique. Music is just another form of education, and in fact, music is proven to increase your levels of concentration and thinking.For me, reading sheet music is just like reading a book.

 

Today, I’m in my fifth year of playing the cello.

 

Being able to read, play, and understand music opens up many new possibilities that others may not be lucky to have. It gives me that ability not everybody has. Just like speaking multiple languages distinguishes you, music does the same. But also, music is fun! Sadly, this will be the last year I will be taking music in school because this school doesn’t teach music if you choose to take the full IB diploma, and so I won’t be able to play the cello anymore next year, but hopefully I could purchase my own cello and practice at home on my own.

I’m considering relearning how to play the piano because I now know all the advantages playing music gives me even though I know that it requires the time and effort, which is why I stopped in the first place. You can't instantly be good at something.

 

Music is another form of literacy that I have and want to keep with me my whole life.


The author's comments:

I hope that after reading my post, people will realize how important music and beneficial playing and even hearing music is.