Suicide: A Reason | Teen Ink

Suicide: A Reason

Can you see it? That line at the horizon? That cliff that, for most people, stays right there? I see it only closer. I can see the unstable, shifting stones that line the edge beneath my feet. I can see the darkness that lays below. That hidden peace just inches away.

Am I brave enough to take it yet? To give my life? What would the world think? What would my family do? Who am i to become if this cliff were to claim my future? Nobody.

This cliff shouldn't be the answer. You can feel down and sorry for yourself all you want but just stop for a minute and think about everyone else: friends, family, and your beloved or future beloved. Close your eyes and imagine their faces as they lower you into the ground. Don't want to? Can't do it? Then don't take that leap. Until you can imagine their faces with no regret in mind, then stick around until someone gives you a real reason.

Life is precious, don't take it for granted. Don't pick on the little girl with the bruises, the skinny boy for being tall, the young adult with the scars, or the people who pull away. Chances are, you just became the deciding factor. The could have been just at the edge and you shoved them over with a simple word: ugly, stupid, coward, or worthless.

They stick like daggers in our hearts and leave scars so deep that there is no chance of it every being the same. The word become tattoos in blood and skin because that's all you think to do. To lower them with those stupid sticks and stones saying that words will never hurt me, because words hurt. Deep down words kill us, in our sleep or or lives. Words break down that little wall you built to protect yourself and when that wall is gone.... Darkness

A friend teeters on the edge, i can only hope to help him