Library in the Techno World | Teen Ink

Library in the Techno World

By LightOfTheWorld BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
LightOfTheWorld BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." –Jane Austen

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.” –Albert Einstein. Technology is becoming a large factor in daily human life. It seems as everything has been upgraded to a technological level and humans have accepted it all. All but one item– changing from books to Ebooks. People may think that this change would come easy, but what people don’t know is the ages mostly against the Ebooks, reasons why and some information on these technical devices.

Technology is starting to show up almost everywhere. Some would even say all someone would have to do is click a button and their entire day is set. But Ebooks aren’t as popular as some would think, even though there are many places where they are popular. For example, from the New Republic, an internet paper where politics are their area of expertise, a paper done by Reporter Alice Robb on March eleventh, 2015, states that Florida lawmakers passed legislation requiring public schools to convert to Ebooks. While being on the topic of school, President Barack Obama has made a goal to have Ebooks in all classrooms by 2017. Yet even though there are these places, Ebooks have not settled into daily life. In March of 2015 from The Guardian, a newsblog by Matthew Brady, 65% of children from ages 6 to 17 said that they would rather read print books than on technology. Also that 62% of 16 to 24 year olds also read better on paper. In my opinion, the strangest thing about that age group is that it is generally this group that is nearly always on technology. 

There are some reasons that go along with why people don’t like the techno books, from as common as running out of battery and hurting their eyes, to things as random as ‘They don’t work in the tub.’ And it isn’t just younger kids who aren’t a fan of the Ebook. A test run by Professor Naomi Baron and her colleagues, also from New Republic Paper, was that they surveyed 300 colleges located separately in the U.S., Japan, Germany, and Slovakia. After the test results returned, it showed that 92% of the students say that they are able to concentrate better with print books rather than Ebooks. That puts a little damper on Ebooks in all schools.

The Ebook is a device that is used to download multiple stories and games at once, all without leaving the comfort of your living room chair. The device themselves cost about  $60.00 to $100.00, with each book costing an average of $6.00, while the average cost of a paperback is $20.00. Ebooks are also easier to pack and take less space. So what makes kids and adults so resistant to buying an Ebook instead of a paperback print? The answer is the experience. The majority of people who read their paper books get a good feeling when they can see how much they’ve read instead of having a computer telling you how many pages left. And if the cost is an issue, when a book is bought on an Ebook, only on that device can you read it. But with a paperback, you can pass on the story for others to experience and enjoy. So the Ebook may be better in the short run, but if you look ahead, paperback is there.

A tale written in ink is the last link we have to our communication without a screen. From the Huffington Post, it shows that on October 6th, 2014, Ebooks made up 23% sales, while paperback and hardcovers combined made up the other 77%. This shows, at least in my mind, that people still love books, even if many of us won’t admit it.’It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.’ ?Albert Einstein. Technology may have exceeded humanity in many ways, but at least we can all still crack open a novel and let our imagination take off.