New Year's Resolutions: Make It Stop | Teen Ink

New Year's Resolutions: Make It Stop

I do not have a New Year’s Resolution to write about. I do not have a bad conversation starter that will annoy people. I do not have a temporary, ineffective goal that I will fail to complete. I do not have … a New Year’s Resolution.

As a self-appointed critic for anything and everything, I don’t care about your New Year’s Resolution. If, in fact, you are improving your habits and/or your character; good for you. Please, do not feel it necessary to shove it in my face. Do not drag me into something that will break you down because of your lack of mental toughness. Generally, I like to see people succeed, but that demographic that sets themselves up for failure with naiveté, year after year, you are the type of people who make me laugh out loud.

Also, people don’t like being demanded they can’t do something because of your Resolution. If they are your friend, they will help you, but if you’re telling me that I can’t eat donuts because someone who bothers me doesn’t want the temptation around, I will eat my donuts slowly and exaggerate their taste. But if you ask me nicely, I’ll stop. Some people don’t understand that their New Year’s Resolution is not the most important thing in the world.
I would, however, enjoy it if someone could set a goal not purely founded in peer pressure. Come up with an original idea, set a goal when you need to, not when everyone else is. Don’t you think it’s a better idea to set a goal using mental toughness instead of peer pressure? Some people need way more than one goal per year.

Having said that, I did create a goal for the second semester. Organization was a big problem first semester, so I plan to fix that. I have purchased a personal calendar, new folders, and I have rid my backpack of unnecessary hodgepodge. It does not have anything to do with peer pressure from the New Year, nor does it mean I will not set other goals. If I weren’t constantly setting goals, I wouldn’t get anywhere. Anybody that has succeeded in anything, small or big, knows that you have to set goals to get there. No matter how small, always set a goal.
If you saw yourself in my description, first of all, stay away from me. Second, if you see anything that you are bad at or would like to get better at, set a goal. Start with an easy goal and make it more challenging as you go. Always have more than one goal, because everyone has a lot to improve. In conclusion, persist until you fail, then persevere, then persist again.

“Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul.”
-Douglas MacArthur