Instant Digital Communication: Our Best Invention, or Our Worst Mistake? | Teen Ink

Instant Digital Communication: Our Best Invention, or Our Worst Mistake?

By Ken123 BRONZE, Kirkwood, Missouri
Ken123 BRONZE, Kirkwood, Missouri

“Our social tools are not an improvement to modern society, they are a challenge to it,” remarks new media expert Clay Shirky. Social media sites, websites or apps that allow users to communicate, have become the go-to form of communication in modern society. On average, 90% of 13-18 year olds use social media for almost two hours a day [1]. Messages can send across the world in a second just by tapping a screen, but is online messaging detrimental to teens? Social media had the potential to become the most productive and efficient invention in the universe, but teens have abused it through over usage and bullying.

Although I believe social media has done more harm than good to teenagers, there are cogent reasons to click the green thumbs up button. Over half of teens claimed sites like Twitter and Facebook strengthened relationships with friends [2]. In the 21st century, it is normal for teenagers to move schools or across the country, speaking for myself. Social media has given me an outlet to communicate and maintain relationships with friends I don't get to see often. For instance, after I moved from San Diego to St. Louis, I communicated with my old friends via social media for an appropriate amount of time every night. When I went back to San Diego for a visit almost a year later, it felt like nothing had changed. We just hung out the same way we did 8 months ago.

Impressively, social media informs breaking news to over half the U.S [3]. Fast and easy, websites like Twitter have revolutionized communication.

Even though social media is the most efficient way of communication known to mankind, a great irony has arisen: "The more social media we have, the more we think we're connecting, yet we are really disconnecting from each other (JR).” 54% of teens now contact their friends every day by texting, and only 33% talk face to face with them [4]. I believe these online “conversations” can not compare to the authenticity of a face to face conversation. For example, even after four years of use, I have not had one conversation on social media that was deep or impactful to my life. Teens need to know when it is appropriate to take part in a face to face conversation, versus one on Facebook that holds little meaning and will make your English teacher sob.

When these text-only teens do participate in real life conversation, the results are frightening. They have spent so much time texting, that many have forgotten how to interact in real life. I have noticed many teens are now more awkward and less open when talking about important and deep subjects face to face. A new generation consisting of people and leaders that can not properly converse is a very disturbing thought, but is becoming more of a reality.

The second way teens have misused social media is through bullying. Almost a quarter of teenagers are bullied more than once a month online [5]. Cyber bullying has proven itself to be more harmful to self esteem than regular bullying. Social media allows people to stay anonymous and almost unidentifiable, so the bully sends colder messages than they would in real life. Thanks to instant communication, the bully can send a threat or a mean message 24/7, which was not the case on the playground. In the worst cases, cyber bullying leads to suicide, which is the second leading cause of death in people 15-24 years old [5]. Many argue cyber bullying is not caused by social media but by the people on it. While true, the fact that social media opens the door so wide for cyber bullying and suicide is inadmissible.

Social media usage is like spice. If you add too much spice, it ruins the food. But if you add just enough, the food tastes better than it ever could have without it. Sadly, teens have been adding way too much and have turned such a promising invention into something detrimental.  With the use of moderation, however, we can use social media only for productive communication and not have to face the interpersonal consequences of excess time.

Setting a social media time limit of less than an hour a day is a great way to enforce moderation. Social media education, common sense, and parental control/advice may also aid the bullying issue. For example, a guideline a parent could enforce and one I use is keeping your account private. This setting only allows people you know and trust to view and comment on your account. As author Amy Jo Martin puts it; "The physical world is similar to the virtual world in many cases. It's about being aware. We can prevent many debacles if we're educated.

Bibliography/References
"How Often Do Teens Use Social Networking Web Sites? - Safety & Preparedness." Sharecare. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Mar. 2015.
Common Sense Media, "Social Media, Social Life: How Teens View Their Digital Lives," www.commonsensemedia.org, 2012
Kristin Marino, "Social Media: The New News Source," www.schools.com, Apr. 16, 2012
"Teens and Mobile Phones." Pew Research Centers Internet American Life Project RSS. N.p., 19 Apr. 2010. Web. 11 Feb. 2015
"Megan Meier Foundation | Traditional Bullying." Megan Meier Foundation | Traditional Bullying. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Mar. 2015.

After reading this article, I hope parents will start to see the extraordinary potential social media has and not just shame it for how their kids may be using it. With my suggestions, I also hope parents will teach their kids how to use it more to their benefit.