Love vs Hate | Teen Ink

Love vs Hate

March 8, 2015
By Jay Palamand BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri
Jay Palamand BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The difference between love and hate depends on way you perceive it; both are emotional extremes.  We sometimes love so much that we turn to hate people who are against our loved ones. We may hate others because they intrude on us in some form or another. You can hate yourself to the point of suicide, but I often wonder; is it themselves they want to kill, or the gruesome feeling of pain inside that haunts them?

When someone is loved, they feel a personal, warm feeling of lightheadedness and inner warmth curling deep down in their heart. It's odd to say that, because logically, your feelings come from your brain and not your physical heart, but it's almost as if your heart throbs harder when it's warmed.  People do things for others they love subconsciously, because they really care.  Something like bringing a cup of water when you’re thirsty, or bringing a cool towel when you’re feeling feverish.  Sometimes, the smallest things, the littlest actions mean the most -- more than jewelry and gifts.  It just shows that a person cares for you; sometimes without thinking about it.
Hate is much easier to recognise. It's when you see a person repeatedly trying to degrade you, demean you, disrespect you, when all you can do is hold in the angry tears, waiting to plan out some sort of revenge that you might not ever get the chance to carry out. They may bully you to the point where you can't even stand the thought of them.  Looking at them makes you want to roll your eyes - hearing their name makes you want to scribble angrily on scrap paper, or poke holes into Styrofoam in cold fury.  

When one compares these two emotions, love and hate, they both seem to stack up equally.  There can’t be love without hate.  There is no light without darkness or success without failure. You can’t compare love and hate; they are two sides of the same coin.


The author's comments:

I wanted to do the Philosophy Slam this year, but I didn't like the topic (Violence vs Compassion).  I felt like I could write more about Love vs Hate, one of their past topics, so I decided to post my work on Teen Ink.  This is my first piece, and there will be more to come!