Overly Obsessed Fangirls (and I Mean Overly Obsessed) | Teen Ink

Overly Obsessed Fangirls (and I Mean Overly Obsessed)

By EllieLissieA SILVER, Portishead, Other
EllieLissieA SILVER, Portishead, Other

Picture this: Just scrolling through your Facebook newsfeed, laughing at the pictures from your friend’s night out and cooing at that cute puppy your cousin bought, even sniggering at your ex-boyfriend’s latest status update. But then you see it. Someone has posted near enough a million Justin Bieber pictures. Naturally you look at their profile to see if they actually post anything other than Justin Bieber but, and I’m not even exaggerating here, their whole timeline is filled with Justin Bieber. I’m sorry, but does your life consist of anything other than Justin? Apparently not. Now forgive me if you do like Mr Bieber, I’ve nothing against him (well maybe a bit, but I’m not here to rant about that). It’s just that overly obsessive fangirls (and guys, don’t want to be sexist) annoy me. And Beliebers are a perfect example. We’ve all met that one person that literally cannot speak about anything other than their chosen fandom (for those of you less knowledgeable in the world of fans a fandom is a group of people who like something). And I mean really like it.

Now I don’t want anyone to hate on me for being against overly obsessive fans, so I am just going to put out the fact that am I a self-declared, possibly professional and slightly dramatic fangirl of many things, but unlike me there are people out there who can talk and talk and talk about their favourite anime and nothing else. I mean, fine if you want to talk about something talk about it, but life does need a bit of variation. I can chat about, I don’t know, clothes as well as things I like, but these fangirls seemingly can’t. And if you do manage to get them to discuss something other than their obsession (which is quite a fun challenge, may I add) then they will find a way to drag it back to whatever they were, probably one-sidedly, discussing with you beforehand. Trust me, fangirls can find a way around anything to get to their fandom.

Furthermore you can never dare insult their favourite thing, ever. A fate possibly worse than death be upon you if you do. But offend them and they will not give a monkeys what you say. Forgive me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure that if I said you were a horrible, kitten-murdering maniac you would be more upset than if I said your favourite TV show was rubbish. Not fangirls. Tell them that you hate them and they would laugh it off. Tell them you hate One Direction (or whatever their favourite thing is) then all hell would break lose, and I’m not even exaggerating. Now sometimes as I trall through Facebook and I see a fan account of something has posted a picture and some poor (and stupid) fellow has come along and insulted the picture saying something along the line of ‘and that is what you call ugly’. Being a fangirl, I know the inner stir that you sometimes get when something you really, really like is put down, and I know how fangirls would react. So, as I looked at the other comments I knew what to expect. But this guy (who kept fighting back) obviously didn’t expect the angry storm of fangirl anger that rained down upon him. The capital letter replies of stuff really to rude to mention.

But as if fights with people against their fandom weren’t enough, fangirls feel the need to fight over who is the biggest fangirl, who knows the most, who has met their favourite band member and who is the best match for some cartoon character they like. Thousands of quizzes plague the internet, thousands of stories and thousands of pictures and I can guarantee you that in the comments section there will be some kind of fight. This one time I had a friend who had struck up a conversation with another fangirl and oh god forbid, she spelt a name wrong! Suddenly the fangirl that she was talking to raged and was convinced that my friend wasn’t a proper fan. What is a proper fan anyway? Is there some test you have to take become a fan?

But most of all, the truly worst thing about fangirlism is the fact that it is life destroying. Utterly and completely life destroying. You lose friends who aren’t interested in your fandom, you zone out completely in lessons daydreaming about some fit dude in your favourite band then find you don’t know anything about anything. And bam. Life ruined. So if you are a fan of something let this be a warning to you before entering the world of fandoms and if you aren’t a fan of anything then good for you, but don’t ever let you become that girl posting a million photos of Justin Bieber. Take it from me, because I’ve been there, as much as I hate to admit it, and I was one of the lucky ones who escaped the darkest part of fangirlism.