Proud to be an American | Teen Ink

Proud to be an American

November 11, 2014
By LydiaK GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
LydiaK GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I am proud to be an American  because we have fashion freedom. Whatever your culture, personal style, or fashion interests, there are unlimited options for you.


This country was built on the idea that people can express themselves and fashion is a way everyone can do that without hurting anything. Americans have the freedom and ability to become who we are and fashion can help with that process whether you want to be a punk rock persona or a classy business persona, Americans can explore whatever style we choose.


In America, no two people are the same. I think it is cool to find out about people or who they are just based on style and fashion. We’ve had many iconic fashion moments in America. A key one: Woodstock in 1969. Woodstock was a music festival that started the hippie free spirit trend that took over the 1970’s with bell bottoms, long flowy dresses, flowers, and peace signs which were very popular throughout the 70’s.


The 1980’s brought a change from the flowy carefree vibe that the 1970’s had the 1980’s were all about loud vibrant colors, leg warmers, spandex, and bold prints. The 1990’s was all about grunge and punk rock fashion, graphic or band tee shirts, lots of denim, and acid wash.


The cool thing is that every American decade has a new feel with fashion a new look that each decade claims for itself. The world is ever-changing and nothing stays the same forever as with style every year every day it is changing and evolving in every part of the country.


Every American has the right to be themselves and dress however they choose. This country has many freedoms and I am very thankful for the right to be myself and express who I am with style every day.