Honesty | Teen Ink

Honesty

October 21, 2014
By 19mabd BRONZE, Toledo, Ohio
19mabd BRONZE, Toledo, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Honesty:

What is honesty to you? Honesty to me means to tell the truth about something. Honesty can change your impression about yourself, being good or bad. Honesty judges if you are able to be trusted or not. If you told a lie you would have somebody disliking you and thinking you are a liar. Honesty can judge if you are trusted, if not it leaves a bad impression on yourself and also your parents.


What types of values are related to honesty? If you are honest then you show different types of characteristics such as integrity and respect. When you are honest you show integrity by showing that you are honest, can be trusted, and are a role model to anyone else. Honesty is connected to respect because when you tell the truth, you are respecting yourself and the other person you are talking to by telling him the complete truth even if it is difficult. It is better to tell the truth than lie about it.

 

My experience on telling the truth was a long time ago when I was 4 years old. I loved to chew gum and hated when the sweet taste would go away. I was sitting in a double stroller with my little brother.  I asked my mom for another piece, this time she didn't give me a piece. She then said,"Keep chewing on that one or throw it away". I then took the gum out of my mouth and stuck it to the back of my brother's head which stuck his head to the back of the car seat. On the way to the car I asked my mom for another piece, she then asked." Where did your gum go?" I lied and said," I don't know". So my mom took me out of the car seat and put me into the car. After that, she went and tried to pick up my brother, but she couldn't because his head was stuck to the car seat. My brother was crying and was in pain. When we got home, my mom told my dad, and I got in trouble for the lie I told.


This taught me to never lie again because it got my parents mad and got me into some trouble that I could of avoided. When I lied I didn't respect myself and didn't respect the others around me. I then felt guilty and didn't want to experience that feeling ever again.