The Blessings of a Divorce | Teen Ink

The Blessings of a Divorce

By Kibsnbits53 BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas
Kibsnbits53 BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas

I remember about 7 years ago when my parents first separated. I was only nine at the time and I couldn't understand why mommy and daddy were fighting all the time. I would wake up at night to the two yelling at each other. It was hard especially on my older brother who was 12 years old at the time. He was extremely gifted. He was smart and was an amazing baseball player. The divorce between my parents took 3 years and during that time I saw a change in my brother that wasn't good. He tended to side with my dad who was also his coach. At the time I still hadn't found my way into a sport or activity.

My dad (once my parents split) decided to move in with my grandmother who lived about forty or so minutes away. He took my sister and brother with him. I on the other hand stayed at our now empty home with my mom because apparently my dad didn't think I was his child then. After a few months my mom lost the house and the next few years were spent bouncing from school to school until the court finally decided me my brother and sister would attend school in flower mound. Now that everything is over and I've grown up quite a bit since I was 9 years old I can understand life better. I have realized I am who I am today because of that one event my life. I was forced to grow up and try and be a man at nine years old. Now I look at my parents divorce as a "blessing in disguise" because I was able to grow up and it ended the stressful atmosphere they brought. If I could give advice to anyone going through a tough time in life it would be to find a good thing in a bad situation. No matter how big or small it may be find that "blessing in disguise".

This piece I think really is relatable to a lot of people