The Romantics | Teen Ink

The Romantics

My intention is not to receive pity, I don't need that. I simply want to put this out into the world, because it’s been bothering me for quite a while now.

Like any typical school night,I was procrastinating on my math homework and decided to go on tumblr instead. As I scrolled, I saw what seemed as a series of posts romanticizing this idea of having an illness, both physical and mental. This threw me off the edge. Romanticizing a sickness for attention from anyone is NOT okay.

At fifteen I was diagnosed with a hormonal imbalance, which means I can often be depressed or bipolar and sometimes both. Unfortunately I have no control over when it occurs and how badly it hits me. It hits me when it wants to and I have to live with it. There's nothing romantic with feeling worthless and isolating yourself because of this feeling. There is nothing romantic of pulling someone down with you, because they you want them to ‘save’ you from your ‘illness’. I have been living with this for years and I would never want to pull another human being down with me. On the contrary. I am not totally against receiving help, I too ask for assitance, butin no way would I expect my significant other to get me out of it. Not only is that not helping you, but you're building a codependent relationship, that is not fair for the other person.

I ask, if you're one of this people please stop. I understand it seems cute or what not, but trust me its not. Its an everyday struggle and wishing it upon yourself is not cute at all.