Women Are like Trophies | Teen Ink

Women Are like Trophies

By KimMahyor SILVER, Lemon Grove, California
KimMahyor SILVER, Lemon Grove, California

You let people treat you the way you let them

I was on pinterest today. Like many other days I was scrolling through images of cats, funny anecdotes, and the odd romance advice that tends to pop up here and there. When suddenly an image of a girl staring into a mirror caught my eye. The caption underneath read; “I wonder what it feels like to be the pretty girl that all the guys want.” Many girls had added comments such as; “true”, “me too”, “never gonna be like that”, and so on.

This made me so disappointed. I hate how girls are encouraged to believe that they need to be the object of someone's affection to feel special or needed. To feel like there not beautiful unless all men are pursing her.

The harsh truth about this though, is that it isn't all that great to be often receiving attention from the male population. Its uncomfortable. Your often disrespected and downgraded as a female. I once heard a guy say; “Women are like trophies, you only chose the ones that will impress your friends.” I was disgusted by his statement,but us girls, are the ones encouraging this.

I realized why don't we encourage girls to love themselves and take themselves out. How about enjoying the little things in your life and learning how to enjoy your own company?

And not expect to have anyone come "save "you from how lonely you are. Can we please stop encouraging this? Please stop encouraging this?