Selfie= Self-Obsessed? | Teen Ink

Selfie= Self-Obsessed?

July 1, 2014
By magicalthinker BRONZE, Catterick Garrison, Other
magicalthinker BRONZE, Catterick Garrison, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We tell ourselves stories in order to live..."-Joan Didion


As you may know "selfie" was picked as the word of the year in 2013 by lexicographers responsible for updating the Oxford dictionary. The other contenders were "twerk", "shmeat", "olinguito", "binge-watch", "bitcoin" and "bedroom tax" (I'm sorry but I don't know what half of these words mean). The hilarious thing about this list is that twerk was the runner up. REALLY TWERK REALLY.

As I was saying selfie the words first use was in 2002 that was almost 12 years ago. This obsession with people taking pictures of themselves has gone on forever and painting self portraits has been even longer. But this cultural phenomenon has only took off because off the inclusion of reverse cameras in smart phones. It is a selfie fanatics dream, who can now take and upload a photo of themselves from anywhere with the touch of a button. Even I am guilty off taking a selfie twice (I know guys its disgusting). Those two pictures were the only selfies I ever took. But this huge obsession with people taking a multitude of selfies and uploading them to social media just confuses me. I have never been the person who takes pictures alone because photos are supposed to bring back a happy/sad memory with people but now it's about how many like's you get in facebook or instagram it's quite sad.

This trend of taking selfies may seem harmless but are we making a generation of self obsessed narcissistic adults who take selfies to keep their egos up.  People are so focused on themselves – on how they will look and how they will appear online – that they forget to engage with the real world.