technology invasion | Teen Ink

technology invasion

By pearlsilver SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
pearlsilver SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

a persons got to do what hes got to do

Our world today, if you can still call our surroundings that’s half destroyed by genius inventions a world, is being overrun by technology. Soon, there be more robots than people; and people are so nervous that aliens would invade. Seriously, people don’t realize how dependent they are on these numerous devices until it all fails and they are left hanging.

Though it’s easier and neater to have a computer to store information, the computers tend to take a time out at the worst time possible and we pay for it by losing some important file. A school faced a computer glitch trying to generate schedules for middle school students. Three hundred students didn’t receive their schedule until the first day of school.

Besides for the fact that we can’t always rely on the computers to keep our information safe, all these new technological “advancements” have and continue to cost people their jobs. For example, when making a call in the 1900’s, an operator had the job of connecting you to the person you wished to speak to. Once people were able to make direct calls, though it did make life a whole lot simpler for most, operators were no longer needed, so they no longer had a job. Nowadays, because of texting and email and all other communication devices, the post offices are losing money, and many have already been closed. Yes it’s one less expense for us, but if the postal clerks lose their jobs, they have less money to spend, so the places they usually spend money start to lose money, and the cycle of the Great Depression presents itself.
People have become too enthralled in hi-tech time wasters. A major cause of obesity is that kids spend too much time in front of computers and video games instead of playing outdoors. Cameras are the worst. People bring it along on vacation claiming to be preserving memories. They are so busy with the camera during the trip that when they look back at the pictures, they can’t remember too much of the trip. This can also be a cause for the lack of exercise, because so many people are so busy posing that they don’t have time to move or enjoy themselves.

On a more positive note, a person can become famous and make millions from coming up with advancements for the technology we have. Though it ruins lives, who cares as long as the creator gets recognized, right? So many people waste good money on these things that half the time don’t do what they’re supposed to do. The money could’ve been used to buy food, clothing and the other necessities of life.
Clothing is mass produced by machines. Thankfully, the machines have been upgraded and much safer. It used to be so dangerous that so many have lost their jobs because they got caught in a machine. That’s an example of an upgrade for the better, even though clothing factories still emit lots of pollution.

College has the option of taking classes online. Instead of going out and socializing with people, students are confined to their homes. It’s harder to take tests online because the screen is so bright and the eyesight fuzzes up a bit after a while. Besides for that, the computer, cellphones and all the other electronics emit waves that are harmful to the brain cells. If people are so dependent on technology, their brain would be destroyed and they’ll be like zombies in search of a brain. When that day comes, chips will have to be inserted in place of our brain, and then we’d really be nothing better than robots.

Ooh, that reminds me, there’s medical equipment that helps to keep our sick loved ones alive a bit longer. For example, there’s a machine that takes the place of a kidney. It cleans the blood of unwanted materials. However the process is painful and the machine is so big.
So basically, technology is taking over our homes. We are incapable of stopping the worlds technological growth but we can prevent it from taking over our lives. Researchers say being too connected to technology can disrupt our focus and get in the way of personal relationships. Let’s take the time to disconnect from technology and reconnect with the people around us. That’s what the weekend is for; to spend time with people not with our gaming devices.

what's wrong with spending time with friends and family as opposed to being stuck on computers and video games?