We Are Creators | Teen Ink

We Are Creators

By Austin1027 BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida
Austin1027 BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida

Every one of us is born with a blank slate. As we age, we are the artists of our canvas known as life. Every day, we add more to this canvas through the relationships we form. Our family, friends, acquaintances, and believe it or not, enemies, all contribute to our masterpiece. Even a person you only meet only once can completely change your life’s direction. While others leave marks in our lives, only we can create the final showpiece. I believe life is what you make it.

Until rather recently, my mindset was that you had to tear people down to feel about yourself. For all of junior high, I bullied everyone that didn’t fit into my criteria. In the end, I realized it caused me more grief and regret than anything. I can only credit that epiphany to someone I honestly don’t even know. Marc Mero came to my school and presented the PowerPoint that would change my life. Although he talked to all of us in that gym, I felt as if it was meant directly for me. Not only had I emotionally damage others, I had lost track of who I was. I hated who I was, but I masked those insecurities through the exploitation of the insecurities and weaknesses of others. But in that fateful hour, in just 60 minutes, my life was changed for the better. I focused on expiating all the horrible things I had done, and apologizing to everyone I hurt. Even today, I concentrate on making positive relationships with everyone and being a good friend.

In all honesty, I might not be alive today if it weren’t for that life changing touch I received. I was depressed because no one liked me, but I learned I could change my life. I could improve my condition and finally be happy. And that’s what I did. Although others may influence our colors and techniques we use on that canvas, in the end, it’s up to us to decide the picture future generations remember us by. And whether your life’s picture is only remembered by your family, or if your picture goes into some great museum and is seen by thousands, it doesn’t matter. I believe WE are the creators of our life.