Label Me

For years now, namebrands have become more and more popular - as well as expensive. In my high school, I see several students in the hallways with extremely high-priced clothing, jewelry, etc. I'll be honest, it disgusts me. Our parents/guardians have hard-working jobs and most of the things you get are coming from your parents/guardians salary. Is that fair? When you become their age, would you like it if your children spent YOUR money? Because that's how it is. Why do we need all these expensive things? Girls of all ages walk around in UGGS. At Mandee's or Target, they have boots EXACTLY like UGGS, but we choose not to buy them, because it doesn't say the namebrand stamped on the bottom/back of the boots. I'll admit, I bought my first pair of UGGS last year with my own money that I EARNED from babysitting; and I still wear them even though they have some wear-and-tear on them. Let's face it, society is very much so based on namebrand materials. Some people just cannot afford these expensive things. Since when are shirts $24.99? Why are hoodies $45.00? Do jeans really need to be priced at $50.00? Is it fair? Of course not. Will there ever be a decrease in prices? Will there be an increase? Who knows? Unfortunately, people nowadays have to cope with this type of peer pressure to look good. And personally, I'm blind-sided to really... why?

toxic.monkey said...
i so agree! there's the phrase "don't suffer from a label" which describes how i feel about this

Cattt-Lynn|KORRUPTED said...
Nov. 19, 2008 at 1:17 am:
I completely understand your point of view, but however, I can also see the other.
Name brand clothing is just yet another way of our human nature coming out. Humans seek acceptance, and our life's want is just for acceptance from others.
Name brand clothing is a way to be accepted. We see what others are wearing and we just want to fit in. We buy the $100 jeans and the $70 sweatshirts, sometimes because they look good, but subconciously, we seek these things so we fit in, and whe... (more »)

Niss said...
I'm glad someone feels the same way.

Sunny said...
Hey- I grew up on generics and store brands- with clothes, food and everthing else you can think of. Tags are Tags! I'm blind to brand.