Label Me

For years now, namebrands have become more and more popular - as well as expensive. In my high school, I see several students in the hallways with extremely high-priced clothing, jewelry, etc. I'll be honest, it disgusts me. Our parents/guardians have hard-working jobs and most of the things you get are coming from your parents/guardians salary. Is that fair? When you become their age, would you like it if your children spent YOUR money? Because that's how it is. Why do we need all these expensive things? Girls of all ages walk around in UGGS. At Mandee's or Target, they have boots EXACTLY like UGGS, but we choose not to buy them, because it doesn't say the namebrand stamped on the bottom/back of the boots. I'll admit, I bought my first pair of UGGS last year with my own money that I EARNED from babysitting; and I still wear them even though they have some wear-and-tear on them. Let's face it, society is very much so based on namebrand materials. Some people just cannot afford these expensive things. Since when are shirts $24.99? Why are hoodies $45.00? Do jeans really need to be priced at $50.00? Is it fair? Of course not. Will there ever be a decrease in prices? Will there be an increase? Who knows? Unfortunately, people nowadays have to cope with this type of peer pressure to look good. And personally, I'm blind-sided to really... why?

Bree said...
Reading this article I feel that you don't really know who to blame. So, you chose to blame "society" yes "society", all the nay-sayers blame this "society" it's people like this who create the pessimistic society. You're either blaming the people who 'follow the crowd' to buy all the name brands because they are peer pressured into it. Or you're blaming the owners of the brand of pricing it so high. But logically, they are going to price it high, one because it is quality (most of the time) and... (more »)

blackierules said...
Apr. 21, 2010 at 11:48 am
I like aeropostale and kohl's too! I hate the namebrand thing! I think it happens at middleschools everywhere. Thank you so much for writing this article!!!

Joyce said...
Apr. 10, 2010 at 12:53 am

I agree that people buy the brand not the product most of the time.

Yet if that brand is of good quality, then naturally you would by the product.

I myself hate brand names printed on shirts and jackets and such, but I do like brand name clothing, as long as it doesn't have the name on the front, its comfortable, and comes at a relatively cheap price within my budget.

naturelover123 said...
I don't see the point of buying from the expensive name brands, but I don't care if someone else buys them either. If they like those brands, they can buy them...but if they're just doing it to look rich, I don't see the point. I don't care if the boots a person wears are 100 dollars or 50 cents! I don't care about name brands...I like shopping at the stores with great deals! :) And sewing my own clothing...that's fun as well!

dReameRboy13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
But the point was people conform and WASTE money when they don't need to. Whether you buy them off the clearence rack, or hot off the shelf, people buy the name, not the product.

girdythebirdy said...
I agree on the label obsession, but sometimes I see differently about it as well. It pains me to see a $100 dollar sweatshirt stained and ripped. However, if someone takes care of their sweatshirt, and has a few nice sweatshirts, I think differently. I still agree with you, but that's just my opinion! Please see my articles! :)

caitlin.calamity said...
I didn't even know what Abercrombie was until I got to middle school!! Uggs are too UGGly to pay $100 for, which is exactly what my friend did. But really, there once was a tank top at A&F for $30. I was like WHAT??? I can get that same tank at walmart for $5.

question-authority said...
Maybe worker wages is the problem and not teens wasting their parents' money on designer clothes haha. To be honest, I wear designer brand clothes but I buy them from the sale or clearance, or secondhand from stores like Plato's Closet. There's nothing wrong with labels or the designer logo on it, it's fashion and I think that stores like Bebe and Aero and AE have really cute stuff, so I buy it, and I spend my own money and not that much of it.

dReameRboy13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

QuestionAuthority replied...
That's assuming. Plenty of people buy it for the product. And head's up, there's ALWAYS going to be conformity.

Conformity wasnt the issue... it was about people wasting money on the name, not the product. Why would you spend $30 for a green AE shirt, when you can spend $5 on a Merona shirt that looks exactly the same?

morgie7<3 said...
ok thank you so VERY much for this article!!!!!!!!!!! I shop at some of these stores, but like you said, i hit the clearance aisle! It's ridiculous sometimes! Like a pair of underwear for $5. That might not sound too bad, but I can get a pack at Walmart for that much. And because it says Aerie and has a bow on it, it should be worth that much?! And UGGS, ooh I could go on and on about how they are the same as any knockoff, just say UGGS on the back. It's as if all people care ab... (more »)

CHSLitKid4ever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow, you said exactly what I always wanted to say. Like you, I was totally blindsided by the labels in middle school. In my middle school, you HAD to have THE look, or else you'd never measure up to the people who did. I always knew this was BS, but it took me until I got to high school to change my attitude. See, my high school is different - we're all artsy weirdos (it's an arts h.s.) and you can honestly wear whatever you want. It took a change of scenery and a change of mind f... (more »)

thea22 said...
yeah i hate people who just look at brands. just be urself. doesnt matter how much ur clothes cost.

Nicolioliolsterz_1 said...
Yea, I don't think that she should have to buy name brands worth $40. Everyone always compliments me on my outfits and that all my clothes look expensive. They don't know that I get my clothes off the clearence rack at TJMax and Burlington coat factory. So the name brand shouldn't matter unless YOU want it to.

penguin35 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I totally agree! Namebrands are not that important. I care about how stuff looks, not about the brand. That's why I shop at TJMaxx and Kohl's. I don't understand why someone would pay $30 for a plain t-shirt just because it is a namebrand.

koolkat101love replied...
I love Kohl's! I get most of my clothing from there and Aeropostale because they are both cheap and have cute clothing.

penguin35 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 11, 2009 at 6:15 am
Yeah, I like Aeropostale too. It's a good brand but it isn't ridiculously expensive.

Amber1994 said...
THANK YOU!! my school is hugeee on namebrands and guess what i have never bought my name brand stuff from the stores, i pay less than a 3rd of the price! how you ask? garage sales and 2nd hand stores, i can still "fit in" and have the "popular clothes" but honestly i prefer an old sweatshirt or tee.
-please check out my poems and comment!!-

niss said...
Nov. 26, 2008 at 12:34 am
to cattt-lynn|KORRUPTED :

in a way, yes, no one wants to feel alone. but we shouldn't have to BUY our way into feeling good. we shouldn't have to "fit in", 'cos then that means those people aren't true friends to you. you should be able to wear whatever you want, and have friends who don't care about what's on the outside, but what's really on the inside (sorry for being cheesy, just my opinion)