Label Me

For years now, namebrands have become more and more popular - as well as expensive. In my high school, I see several students in the hallways with extremely high-priced clothing, jewelry, etc. I'll be honest, it disgusts me. Our parents/guardians have hard-working jobs and most of the things you get are coming from your parents/guardians salary. Is that fair? When you become their age, would you like it if your children spent YOUR money? Because that's how it is. Why do we need all these expensive things? Girls of all ages walk around in UGGS. At Mandee's or Target, they have boots EXACTLY like UGGS, but we choose not to buy them, because it doesn't say the namebrand stamped on the bottom/back of the boots. I'll admit, I bought my first pair of UGGS last year with my own money that I EARNED from babysitting; and I still wear them even though they have some wear-and-tear on them. Let's face it, society is very much so based on namebrand materials. Some people just cannot afford these expensive things. Since when are shirts $24.99? Why are hoodies $45.00? Do jeans really need to be priced at $50.00? Is it fair? Of course not. Will there ever be a decrease in prices? Will there be an increase? Who knows? Unfortunately, people nowadays have to cope with this type of peer pressure to look good. And personally, I'm blind-sided to really... why?

KunaiNinjaFighter said...
Nost girls at my school will buy a pair of jeans for $100 just cause they have a name brands on the butt, and a bunch a frays and holes in it. I say, if you want holes in your jeans (which I don't anyway) you can just go to wal-mart, buy some cheapo Riders, and a good pair of scissors (sp?). Then you can spend like, 30 minutes fraying your jeans and cutting holes in them

KunaiNinjaFighter replied...
Oct. 28, 2010 at 1:22 pm :
I still don't understand why what people wear matters.

emergingtalent said...
Aug. 2, 2010 at 10:53 am:
because all knowledge comes from Calvin and Hobbes, that much I have learned!  =D

emergingtalent replied...
Aug. 2, 2010 at 10:54 am :
wait, i did it again! i meant to reply but made a new post! i'm always doing that! sigh

crushd said...
Jul. 29, 2010 at 7:56 pm:
i agree with Cody980. some people where name brand because they like it. i myself wear name brand and my mother doesn't mind buying it for me. she herself wears name brand clothes that she thinks are suitable for her. sure, some kids wear it because they think it makes them look cool and that's lame and it shouldn't be that way. we should wear the things we like. if it's from a thriftshop or abercrombie so be it, as long as it's what you want to do.

everthought said...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 11:16 pm:
clearance rack FTW. also, thrift stores have very original clothing...hipsters FTW! ;)

luv2write4ever said...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:54 pm:
I really like this article. I agree completely with you. Nice work.

ShelbyW. said...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 10:05 am:
As the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes" has taught us, "Brand name conformity is the American way to express individuality."

ReadingFanatic replied...
Aug. 28, 2010 at 7:52 pm :
Calvin and Hobbes rock!!

princess6 said...
Jul. 8, 2010 at 1:43 pm:
I shop anywhwere as long as the clothes is cute..who cares. But I agree some prices are awful like seriously why would i spend $15 on a solid tank top. But yesss  I sometimes do save up my money and buy something from Holister or abercrombie. BTW the clearance sections are pretty cheap in holister and abercrombie. ;)- who cares if there lst season!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beautifuldisaster18 replied...
Aug. 3, 2010 at 6:38 pm :
Agreed! Clearance items are just as cute. The price does not determine the "cuteness".

Lestat09 replied...
Aug. 24, 2010 at 6:05 pm :

i disagree with the cuteness remark, if it's cheap, ITS EVEN CUTER!!!

plus i 100% agree with this article, things are getting WAY out of hand

JacintaT said...
Jul. 2, 2010 at 8:57 pm:
Half of the time the non-brand clothing, is just as good quality as the expensive stuff. Everything is going to go through wear and tear eventually.

seraphinagreene said...
Jun. 21, 2010 at 2:03 pm:
personally, i don't like people knowing where i got my clothes or being all like, "omg i have that same _____!" non-namebrands are unique 

jschara94 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 30, 2010 at 9:01 pm :
Vintage and used is the way to go! I get compliments all the time on my clothes, and I usually buy them from goodwill.  I would rather go naked than have to wear those pastel polo's that EVERYONE else wears just because they're "cool".  Be unique.

Cody980 said...
May 13, 2010 at 5:46 pm:
Have you thought maybe people just like Hollister clothes, not because the price not for the acceptance but because they like the style of the clothing? I'm only 14 but i shop at Hollister and Aeropstale and American Eagle, not to "fit in" but because I like the polo's, jacket's and jeans. My mom chooses to buy my clothes for me, I'm not using her money she is "choosing"  to spend her money. No where does it say she HAS to buy me name brand's.

simplysteph replied...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 7:22 pm :

[reply to Cody980]

At the same time, how would you feel if one day she wanted you to get a pair of jeans at Ross that looked exactly like ones you could get at Hollister? How would you feel about wearing a shirt that fit just as well that was lacking the huge "HOLLISTER" billboard across the front? Would you feel like somehow it wasn't as good?

Also, whether you like it or not, you are using her money in the long run, whether she's okay with it or not. Just think about it... (more »)

nextJKRowling replied...
Sept. 13, 2010 at 8:49 pm :

But at the same time, Americans now a days are insanely self centered. No one will give up their Hollister or Abercrombie to give to charity. It is just not the norm. People would rather be ahead and richer then donate their hard earned money.Charity is just not high on peoples list.

And "Cody" has no control on what his moms chooses. Refusing to wear the clothing would b an even larger waste.

jonas_chic899 said...
May 7, 2010 at 2:23 pm:
yeah i think its crazy to just wear name-brand stuff for status. one of my 'high class-y' friends bought sunglasses for like $200 n i was like [in my head]: wow, really? well that was wen we wer still in junior high but shes still kinda like that, i dont like it...anyway, awesome article. u point out a good message!

krazykathleen said...
May 5, 2010 at 4:56 pm:
I use my own money to buy name brand clothing- don't just say every kid is using their parent's money. Why do care if I want to wear a jacket that says Abercrombie?  I must say some of it is expensive, and sometimes peer pressure plays a part. I just wear it because I like it.

DanceAway This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 3, 2010 at 3:11 pm:
So true. Love the article.