Label Me

For years now, namebrands have become more and more popular - as well as expensive. In my high school, I see several students in the hallways with extremely high-priced clothing, jewelry, etc. I'll be honest, it disgusts me. Our parents/guardians have hard-working jobs and most of the things you get are coming from your parents/guardians salary. Is that fair? When you become their age, would you like it if your children spent YOUR money? Because that's how it is. Why do we need all these expensive things? Girls of all ages walk around in UGGS. At Mandee's or Target, they have boots EXACTLY like UGGS, but we choose not to buy them, because it doesn't say the namebrand stamped on the bottom/back of the boots. I'll admit, I bought my first pair of UGGS last year with my own money that I EARNED from babysitting; and I still wear them even though they have some wear-and-tear on them. Let's face it, society is very much so based on namebrand materials. Some people just cannot afford these expensive things. Since when are shirts $24.99? Why are hoodies $45.00? Do jeans really need to be priced at $50.00? Is it fair? Of course not. Will there ever be a decrease in prices? Will there be an increase? Who knows? Unfortunately, people nowadays have to cope with this type of peer pressure to look good. And personally, I'm blind-sided to really... why?

Aspiringauhor said...
Mar. 22, 2011 at 3:37 pm:
I agree... Mostly. I mean, yes, the whole name brand thing is ridiculous. But then again, so is the part about how kids are wasting our parent's hard earned money. Most kids our age (and I'm assuming everyone is at least 13, as this is TEEN Ink) are paying for at least some of our clothes. I know that I have to use my debit card whenever I want to buy clothes. None of my parents' money goes toward buying me clothes. And since it's my money, I get to choose where I get my clothes. And I choose Ab... (more »)

iWriteForFoodThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:54 pm :
I agree! While I don't usually buy my own clothes, I agree with what you are saying. I shop at American Eagle a lot, not for the brand, but because their clothes are really cute and comfortable!

sunny said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 10:25 am:
well i agree with all of you guys too because nemed brans are good once there on sale or not, but people shouldn't care of howe you dressed or looked

starlight26 said...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 4:24 pm:
I agree 100 percent. I mean I go to Ross, and Walmart and Marshalls.But I still enjoy going to American Eagle or Forever 21 when theres a sale. Bullying based on Labels is extremely pointless when people don't have a single piece of clothing on their backs.

Scarlett13 said...
Feb. 19, 2011 at 5:39 pm:
many teenagers commit suicide just because their being peer pressure or bullied because they dont have enough money for expensive clothing.  i mean, people have to face the reality that there are starving people in the place and people who dont have the right clothing.  people are freezing and starving, but yet people have the nerve to buy really expensive clothing?  just because its more expensive doesn't mean it looks better.  i have a pair of boots that look exactly like U... (more »)

hopelessromantic792 said...
I agree! I have a big family, with both parents, and four brothers I don't have much extra money at all, no one does. The most name brand clothes i have is aeropostal because all of their clothes are usually on sale, and half of them are from garage sales and such.

Missirules said...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 9:37 am:
How do you know that they get their clothes from the stores like Aeropostale or American Eagle. Like me and my friends get most of our brand name clothing from a store called Plato's closet where everything is 70-90% off. And my shoes which look like Uggs cost about 20 bucks with gift cards and when they were on sale. So you dont have to spend alot of money on brand name clothing you just have to know where to find good deals

silence-is-loud replied...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 9:40 pm :
sooo true, it isnt hard to find named brand clothes with discounts. And for my school, Aero and Hollister is considered "lame" I don't know who started this new thinkg and why, but it's pretty annoying because I have tons of Aero clothes that are perfectly wearable and no where near "lame". But I guess that for the less fortunate, the pressure is off of them. Instead of buying 40 dollar hoodies that they can't afford, they can simply get a non-named brand shirt for 6 dollars

bjmcrank said...
i agree 100% when i get my clothes i get then from garage sales, were they'er cheaper, and i have some aropostale tshirts that were 25 cents. thats were they should look for name brand clothes! i fit my moms clothes so we tend to trade around. the only name brand thing i buy is at target for 24 bucks i buy converse, and converse lasts awhile and are worth what you pay for. not all people like them or find them comfy. but i think there comfy. and i buy one pair a year.  i think sometimes peo... (more »)

jemter This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I have to admit: most of my stuff comes from goodwill, but whenever a discount pops up at delia's (a totally awesome graphic T place) I'm THERE. I think that spending a little on clothes OCATIONALY is okay, but only if it's what you want to wear, not what everybody else is wearing.

SkyDeer said...
You are so right! I really never wear namebrands- they are way to exspensive! Alot of my clothing is hand-me downs and I'm proud of it!

the dude replied...
Dec. 8, 2010 at 8:34 am :
i hate u i have many pricing's

SkyDeer replied...
Dec. 8, 2010 at 2:50 pm :
Aren't we nice today.

soccergoalie6 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 3:37 pm :

so why all the hate? im confused

SkyDeer replied...
Feb. 17, 2011 at 5:49 pm :
Honestly, I'm not sure.

RemmiWrote said...
i know what you mean. Im only 13 and all the girls are crazy with their brands and stuff. I dont care because 3/4 of my closet is hand-me-downs.

CatherineK said...
Most of my name brand stuff I got for christmas or birthdays or I bought with my own money. My mom would NEVER buy me name brand clothing on a regular day if there's something cheaper that is just as good or better quality.

ZombieDanceWithMe said...
dude, everybody at my school wears uggs(or good knock offs) and American Eagle jeans (which aren't TOO bad) If it's not from american eagle it better be Tripp(the Hottopic jean brand) or something by Pac Sun, or else your like nothing. I mean, people are still friends with you, but you get real self conscience. I have 3 pairs of jeans, I did nor work for them, The first was a present for doing something, and my dad was really proud of me, so he got them for me and then the other two were on sale... (more »)

WritingJulia This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I don't think the whole "name brand" idea is so crucial; as long as one feels confident in themselves' appearance it simply doesn't matter.  You can find very inexpensive "name brand" things on their clearance selections

KunaiNinjaFighter said...
Nost girls at my school will buy a pair of jeans for $100 just cause they have a name brands on the butt, and a bunch a frays and holes in it. I say, if you want holes in your jeans (which I don't anyway) you can just go to wal-mart, buy some cheapo Riders, and a good pair of scissors (sp?). Then you can spend like, 30 minutes fraying your jeans and cutting holes in them

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 27, 2010 at 12:34 am :
*Sigh* If only I'd known of this before. When I came to Canada, I had no idea what "skinny jeans" were and went out and bought Guess Jeans for a 100 bucks because I didn't know any better. :P Now I shop more prudently, thank God.