Label Me

For years now, namebrands have become more and more popular - as well as expensive. In my high school, I see several students in the hallways with extremely high-priced clothing, jewelry, etc. I'll be honest, it disgusts me. Our parents/guardians have hard-working jobs and most of the things you get are coming from your parents/guardians salary. Is that fair? When you become their age, would you like it if your children spent YOUR money? Because that's how it is. Why do we need all these expensive things? Girls of all ages walk around in UGGS. At Mandee's or Target, they have boots EXACTLY like UGGS, but we choose not to buy them, because it doesn't say the namebrand stamped on the bottom/back of the boots. I'll admit, I bought my first pair of UGGS last year with my own money that I EARNED from babysitting; and I still wear them even though they have some wear-and-tear on them. Let's face it, society is very much so based on namebrand materials. Some people just cannot afford these expensive things. Since when are shirts $24.99? Why are hoodies $45.00? Do jeans really need to be priced at $50.00? Is it fair? Of course not. Will there ever be a decrease in prices? Will there be an increase? Who knows? Unfortunately, people nowadays have to cope with this type of peer pressure to look good. And personally, I'm blind-sided to really... why?

N.M.W.I.T.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 5 at 8:57 pm
Your article speaks the truth. People today do care about clothing. I personally don't care what people say.

SFeathery This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Good points, but you come off as a bit bitter at some points. I mean, there are reasons why prices are rising, and generally speaking name brands are better quality. It’s not just about looks. While I certainly don’t condone buying name brands for the sake of the label, and while I know there are people who do so, the main reason why there is a market for famous brands just can’t be only because of peer pressure. They are, generally speaking, better. Honestly, 80% of my clothes... (more »)

SuperiorMischief said...
Honestly,I disagree.People buy what pleases them ,and if their parents condone it--the,so be it.Also your point about how would I feel if my child spent my money.....isn't that part of a parent's jopb description -_-

Natalie12 said...
I completely agree with this article. I don't think that young teenagers should be raoming around with gucci bags that mommy and daddy paid for. I believe that kids today should work hard for what they get.

laurenmack said...
i have the same opinion. it iritates me when people have to have the name brand, when they could buy the same thing for half the price.

Brianna♥ said...
May 12, 2012 at 10:29 am
I mostly agree with this, but it still sounds like you're judging people who wear expensive clothes. I don't buy Hollister, American Eagle, etc. because I frankly think it looks stupid. When I see people in school wearing those clothes (middle school) I don't judge the people that wear them. I think the main thing is, don't judge people by what they are wearing whether it be Walmart, Guess, Target, Juicy Couture, Kohl's, or anything else. 

lmao13 said...
May 3, 2012 at 9:21 am
i agree with this article because many kids at my school a bullyed just because they way they dress like the popular girls (Not including me) bully the hippie chicks just cause they wear tie dy shirts they are lame but some people have feelings so even though im popular doesnt mean i have to be stuck up. 

BlueRain said...
Dec. 27, 2011 at 9:21 am
I agree, it's ridiculous. If I do buy from one of those top brands, I buy few and I wearing them forever. I have a pair of shoes I've been wearing to nearly everywhere for 3 years. They have holes but who cares? Shoes are about protecting your feet, pants are about keeping your legs warm and for protection, and so on. I really don't care what a person is wearing but how they wear it. A guy could be walking around with $200 jeans, but more than likely they'll be bagging around his knees. Any gir... (more »)

Ecowolf This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 3, 2011 at 4:25 am
I'm going to admit, I bought 2 tops from Hollister, and I wore them for a while. But, I heard two girls from my class talking about some boy, saying "He doesn't even wear Hollister, or Abercrombie, and his shoes just look like Vans, when they aren't really, and they started laughing." At that point, I really noticed how much focus was being put on labels by kids my age these days. So I stopped wearing Hollister, and I'm currently working on making my own tshirts and buying tops I like,... (more »)

KayKay234 said...

"Why don't you buy name brands?"

Oh, I don't know . . .

Maybe I just don't feel like paying 40 bucks to advertise Hollister or Abercrombie and Fitch on a teeny logo on cheap material. Also all the cologne smell in Abercrombie and Fitch makes my athsma flare up.

burgerman said...
The mess of it is: you just have to stop caring so much. Don't worry about getting the name brands and don't be a cynic about refusing to wear them. Either way can have its logic.

ProfessionalAsian666 said...
This is about the authors note, being the huge math addict I am I couldn’t help but notice how you life was turned around 360 degrees, however, that would mean your life was right back where it started as, no difference whatsoever, so if you could change it (once again, being the nerd I am) my respect for you will still be retained, good piece though, no denying that

JoPepper said...
Yep!!! totally agree!!! I didn't get money concious until I was maybe 9-10!!! :()

Dinkerbell126 said...
May 9, 2011 at 10:24 am
Right I feel the same way

CHUPELO (; replied...
May 20, 2011 at 9:06 am
yeah dawg so do i like for real this stuff is crazy like come on maine get like me and be fresh

DifferentTeenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
what? is it really necessary to talk that way?

SuperiorMischief replied...
LMAO!! I thought I was the only on confused

cr8artchick said...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:41 am
I totally hear you buddy. Not to mention, I've found a lot of deals on the clearance racks, so they should never be ruled out :)

Angelnight16 said...
i totally agree. the whole name brand thing is utterly rediculous. i started wearing naame brands for a while. but stopped becuse i wanted to have my own style not wear somone elses. i even began asking friends who only wear aero, and hollister, and uggs (yuck) why they liked the brands so much. i expected something along the lines of " oh o like all the color selections" or " i love the type of jeans they sell". no. the only answer i got was becuase it was that brand. i wanted to look at them l... (more »)

Aspiringauhor said...
I agree... Mostly. I mean, yes, the whole name brand thing is ridiculous. But then again, so is the part about how kids are wasting our parent's hard earned money. Most kids our age (and I'm assuming everyone is at least 13, as this is TEEN Ink) are paying for at least some of our clothes. I know that I have to use my debit card whenever I want to buy clothes. None of my parents' money goes toward buying me clothes. And since it's my money, I get to choose where I get my clothes. And I choose Ab... (more »)