Spring Fashion: Premieres on Runways | Teen Ink

Spring Fashion: Premieres on Runways

By ckbong42 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
ckbong42 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin

As 2014 begins, new styles and trends are introduced to the world of fashion, as old ones are said goodbye to. These spring lines were premiered during the spring 2014 New York Fashion Week. 2014 trends consist of sporty styles, crop tops, and pastel colors.

Elle Magazine says, “The spring runways showed us numerous ways that the sporty trend could be, well, sported.”

With this new wave of athleticism clothing, Converse shoes and Nike shorts have been viewed on the runways—most of these in red and orange. Bold designers, such as Marc Jacobs and Tommy Hilfiger, have even put their models in swimsuits to be worn as everyday clothing.

Last year, crop tops made a reappearance in high fashion and this year they are back… and shorter than ever. This spring, UrbanOutiftters.com has dedicated a whole section of their website exclusively to crop tops.

Taking a twist on last year’s style, these tops have not been shown as much with high waisted shorts and skirts. FashionMagazine.com has been featuring models wearing crop tops with low rise jeans, encouraging much more skin to be shown.

Julia, a junior in high school, says, “I like wearing crop tops with high waisted shorts, but in my opinion, this new trend with regular shorts will be less versatile due to school dress codes.”

The majority of clothing released for spring 2014, is in pastel colored. In particular, lavender and light pink have dominated. These colors have especially been shown on crochet tops and crop tops.

According to Pantone.com, the color Violet Tulip suggests a romantic and vintage look, while hemlock—a summery green—is an untypical color that pairs well with the other pastel colors. The official color of 2014 is Radiant Orchid, a light purple, which is filled with self-belief and warmth.