Shoes, the key to every outfit

As i sat down to write my first ever fashion column for my school newspaper, all i could think about was the previous fashion editor, Lindsay Bloom, and how i was going to fill those big shoes. Luckily for me, I have pretty large feet; size eight and a half to be exact. This got me thinking. I guess I could write my first article on shoes, a very important accessory. Scratch that, calling shoes an “accessory” would be an understatement. To me, shoes are what make or break the outfit. You can put together an unbelievably chic outfit and then just ruin it with a pair of crocs. Now I can see why some people might say they love crocs, because they are “so comfortable” or “that little strap on the back is great for ankle support.” This might be true, but when I get ready in the morning and have the perfect outfit planned out (a pair of skinny jeans a slightly looser top to complement the straight leg look of the skinny jeans, the perfect sweater and a fun scarf) I don’t immediately say to myself, “Man, I wish I had a great pair of crocs to put this outfit together.” That’s just not the way my mind works. The perfect pair of shoes for that outfit might be a great pair of tall boots, or a really cute pair of ballet flats that maybe have a tiny hint of brown in them to match your brown top. Just enough to make the outfit pop! This winter/fall leather boots are must-haves. For the spring, a great pair of ballet flats (maybe a brighter color if you’re feeling dangerous), and for the summer, gladiator sandals, and a great pair o wedges are the best way to complete your summertime look. They look great with a dress skirt or shorts. Besides my nightly ritual of reading Instyle, Vogue, or Teen Vogue, I love watching the MTV series, The Hills. Although this is not the most educational show on TV, I watch it so I can see what each character’s new outfit is for the week. Lauren Conrad is not only the star of the hit TV series, but also a prominent icon for fashion gurus like myself. Lauren sports a daytime/work outfit, which usually consists of a fun, but serious usually dark colored dress with the perfect pair of pumps to complete her look. Previously working at Teen Vogue, and currently working at People’s Revolution, she has to look the part. She also shows her nighttime outfit, which is either a brightly colored dress or a pair of skinny jeans and a silk and/or perfectly patterned top. Whether she is running to the gym in her Nike shocks, or strutting the streets of LA, Lauren is always properly dressed for the occasion, all the way down to her shoes. For some, shoes are the hardest part of the outfit, but for me, I can slide my eight and a halves into a wide variety of shoes depending on my mood or the particular look I am trying to achieve. Don’t ever feel nervous or insecure about trying new styles of shoes. If they catch your attention, then that usually means that they will work. Fashion is a way of expressing yourself. Shoes are what take you there. You cant leave your house to go anywhere without a pair of shoes. Let your next pair be interesting and take you to places you’ve never been before. Have a new and unforgettable experience in those shoes and you’ll always remember that hose were the shoes that guided you to that special place and time. Next time you walk out the door, remember that shoes not only complete the outfit, but if chosen with care, they can reflect the wearer’s personality, and be the very sole of her style.

the_jeaz said...
Nice job...I relly liked liked it

JRsingersongwriter This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i bought a pair of $50 high heeled black boots because i thought they looked awesome but at school everyone made fun of me and i never wore them again. i guess cause im short - 4'10 and they looked weird on me...

j.gray said...
May 28, 2010 at 9:08 am:

i really liked this article because is was real & helpful.  I also like lauren conrad bc of her style to

scribblesinthecity said...
Mar. 1, 2010 at 10:23 pm:
i liked you article a lot! very detailed, good advice, i bet you will definitely be a great fashion columnist at your school! i just have one comment; though i agree that shoes like brown leather boots and cute ballet flats are definite wardrobe staples; i would also recommend trying out a pair of oxfords (if u haven't heard of them, they're like a mixture of converse w/ ballet slippers in a way, usually feature color block tones; most popular black and white, they where popular in ... (more »)

NinjaOrange said...
Wow, I can't believe a guy like me is reading this, but i can't help it, I LOVE MY SHOES! For me, orange, black, or white converse is the key. White and black can be swapped (Sometimes, I've worn both colors at once =D) around for the same styles, while orange goes with brightish colors.

The~crayon~in~my~heart said...
Dec. 25, 2009 at 8:24 am:
whoopee!!!! another girl who loves shoes as much as i do!!!! and for the people who dont really like/agree with it~ you are who you are, shoes dont make you better or worse~ they just turn frowns upsidown=}

katie35 said...
DUDE! Thats awesome! agree completely. love the rant on crocs, haha.

PurpleMidnight said...
Nice article, but I think you only told your half of the story. What about Converse, Vans, and Airwalks. When you said skinny jeans, I was expecting either black or neon color skater-punk shoes. Plus, shoes are just shoes. The most someone will ever say about them is, "Cool or cute shoes." I know its opinion, but you wrote about shoes tha look good and well the shoes I mentioned looked good.

bookwormishgirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Er... Yes, it is well written. I don't really agree with you at all. However, you are quite good at writing. Good job!

sue said...
This article is AMAZING! I couldn't agree more about the importance of shoes!

Mitzie said...
For a teenage author,this is extremely well written,interesting to read.Keep up the good work Rebecca,look forward to your next article.

Maggie said...
Well done Rebecca, beautifully written and so informative, I feel like running out to buy boots and ballet slippers.

Rachel S. said...
Nov. 13, 2008 at 2:24 am:
Great article. Interesting and well written. Makes me want to go to my closet and check out my collection.

THows said...
Nov. 13, 2008 at 2:05 am:
From a guy's perspective, I can tell you that shoes matter much more to women than men. However, they do matter A LOT to women, so it behooves us guys to learn as much as we can about this phenomenon. Thanks, Rebecca S., for shining a light on yet another aspect of the feminine mystique!

Mat Ters said...
I am a guy and this article has been so helpful. It shed some light on the inner mind of a lady. Dude, girls aren't that complex! Now I know what to get my girlfriend for our anniversary. You are like the Shoe Doctor. Cool.

sarahgrossman said...
OMG! You're sooo right! Shoes are key. People don't get it, but crocs are lame. I'm about to get some some ballet flats tomorrow - any advice?

AmnyR replied...
Jan. 15, 2010 at 9:56 pm :
scuse me, but i love my lame black crocs : )

ehousman said...
Beautifully written article! I couldnt agree more: "Fashion is about expressing yourself and shoes are what take you there." Well said! Question: is it ever appropriate to wear clogs if you know youre going to be on your feet all day? And if so, what pants go with them?
Thanks kindly!

cickychick123 said...
this chick obviously knows her stuff. can you share your opinion on how to properly incorporate sneakers into your wardrobe without looking totally clueless???

sarahw said...
i personally HATE crocs and i appreciate knowing that someone else feels the same and sees the crocs do NOT equal style :P no offense to any croc lovers out there, this is just my opinion...but i would much prefer boots or flats. this article is also well written and thoughtful. kudos!