Facebook is Dead | Teen Ink

Facebook is Dead

By meganbartelt SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
meganbartelt SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Statistics show that fewer teens are using Facebook which, harms the popularity of the number one social media site in the world. Other sites that are competing with Facebook are Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr.

Teens are leaning away from Facebook because of too much drama, too much sharing, and the high number of adults on the site. Other sites such as Instagram and Twitter are highly used by teens, but rarely are any adults on it, which is what teenagers like in a social media site. Teenagers like sharing photos, comments, and same interests with other teens without having adults watching their every move on the site. This is a reason why Facebook is becoming less popular amongst teens.

In a 2012 poll, 50% of teens named Facebook as their most important social media site. In the same poll a year later, the number of teens who named Facebook as their most important site dropped almost 25%. The poll states Twitter has gained more popularity in 2013 than Facebook, making Facebook the second most popular social media site of 2013. Instagram also doubled its percentage in popularity.

Because new social media sites are becoming more and more popular as times go on, Facebook will be dead in a matter of time.