Horoscopes in Astrology | Teen Ink

Horoscopes in Astrology

By Kyra_Chong SILVER, Shanghai, Other
Kyra_Chong SILVER, Shanghai, Other

We must all learn to love one another or die
- W.H. Auber

The Horoscopes in Astrology

Ever read those horoscopes in newspapers where they tell you how your day, week, or even month, will be? They are based on astrology, the study of the effects that the movements of certain cosmic objects, like that of the stars and the moon, have on people. The positions of these cosmic objects at the time of one’s birth allegedly have an effect on their personality and future. Horoscopes, or more specifically, sun-based horoscopes use astrology in order to determine which sign a person belongs to, be that Aries or Libra.

Where did horoscopes come from? Sun-based horoscopes most likely originated from the Babylonians, with the first horoscope on a tablet from Babylon in 410 BC. Due to the passing of time, there is not much that is still legible on the tablet, with the only words that can be read “things will be good for you”. However, astrology itself came a long time before the first horoscope, dating back to the Babylonian Empire in the 19th century BC. At that time, astrology was an important part of the Babylonian polytheistic religion, where Earth was the center of the universe. Babylonian priests were frequently called upon to use their connections with their various gods in order to predict the future, which involved reading signs in the sky and inspecting the liver of a sacrificed animal. Later on, between 612 and 539 BC, the Babylonians divided the sky into twelve sections, which became the zodiac horoscopes are based on. After mathematical astronomy was developed by the Persians, they could calculate the motion of the planets and the Moon, which brought about the development of horoscopes similar to what we have today.

The zodiac consists of twelve signs: Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, and Pisces. They represent twelve different parts from the year, and twelve sections of people. According to the zodiac, these are the characteristics that each of the signs represent.

Aries (March 21 - April 20): Aries tend to come off as energetic, vibrant, and talkative people. They are usually the center of attention, which is not a bad thing, as they are natural leaders as well. They live adventurous lives, and are enthusiastic about their goals. The one fatal flaw that Aries possess is that they tend to act and speak before they think.

Taurus (April 21 - May 21): Taurus have extreme perseverance, and tend to come off as stubborn at times due to it. They are usually easygoing people, but when they get really angry, their temper will show. They are down to earth and tend to dislike change. They are also master procrastinators, but they can effectively push their procrastination aside when it comes to matters regarding themselves.

Gemini (May 22 - June 21): Gemini are social butterflies. They can talk continuously about interesting ideas, but will often go off topic in order to explore another idea. They fear boredom and routine, and would rather be oblivious to the truth if this truth would put a damper on their lives.

Cancer (June 22 - July 22): Cancers have exceptional memories and great observation skills. They can also see past a person’s actions in order to see their intentions. However, Cancers are usually deeply sensitive and easily hurt. They are also rather possessive, with material things and people.

Leo (July 23 -August 21): Leos are always full of energy and enjoy being the center of attention. They want the best in life, and usually have lavish spending habits. Also, they are generous and kind people who rarely hold grudges. Additionally, Leos react to situations with action, but not impulsive action, as they will often consider the consequences of their actions.

Virgo (August 22 - September 23): Virgo often present a calm exterior while they are trying to analyze the world around them with uncontrollable intensity. They also want to improve themselves, which can lead to pickiness. They are not malicious people, so they always have honest intentions.

Libra (September 24 - October 23): Libra have the ability to put themselves in other people’s shoes and see from their point of view. They want harmony and balance in life, and generally have easygoing personalities. They are usually the center of attention.

Scorpio (October 24 - November 22): Scorpio are deep, intense people who often like to penetrate into people or situations in order to understand various things. They tend to control anyone they find weak, but if a Scorpio respects you, they will treat you with the utmost loyalty and kindness.

Sagittarius (November 23 - December 22): Sagittarius are optimistic people, even during hard times. They have vibrant personalities and are full of curiosity. They do not enjoy talking about their feelings, and they can often be reckless and irresponsible.

Capricorn (December 23 - January 20): Capricorn are very ambitious, and always have a goal they are reaching to achieve. They have strong concentration abilities and prefer to control everything around them. They see life in black and white, because gray areas make them uncertain, which, in turn, makes them uncomfortable.

Aquarius (January 21 - February 19): Aquarius like being alone, but they also enjoy the company of others. They don’t judge other people, as they believe that everyone is equal. They are masters of manipulation, so they are able to justify everything that they do or say. Aquarius pick on other people verbally, but while no harm is meant, the other person will often feel hurt.

Pisces (February 20- March 20): Pisces are very good at understanding others and seeing behind their motivations. They can seem like pushovers, but they will stand up and work for the things that they believe in. They may also seem lazy, but that is only about things that do not matter to them.
Through the evolution of horoscopes, horoscopes have become more than a simple way to determine a person’s basic personality, but they have also become a way to foretell their behavior. Horoscopes have been used to determine a person’s actions, be it how they may study to how they treat a crush. For example, Taurus are supposedly very caring when they like a person, often putting that person’s needs above their own. Apart from being able to foretell a person’s behavior, some people believe horoscopes can tell their futures. Many websites, such as astrostyle.com, horoscopes.co.uk, and even newspapers like the Huffington Post provide daily, weekly, and sometimes monthly horoscopes. Some use these horoscopes to plan out their day, while others do not.
So what’s your horoscope? Are you an ambitious Capricorn, or a social Gemini? Or perhaps you don’t believe in horoscopes at all, and that the concept itself is bogus. Regardless, horoscopes are an interesting way to pass time and, if you believe in them, understand more about yourself. So perhaps the next time you have nothing to do, search your horoscope on Google and see what it says about yourself!

To be honest, I just wrote this because I was interested in horoscopes.