Miley Cyrus: The "Other Side of Her" | Teen Ink

Miley Cyrus: The "Other Side of Her"

By melancholyflame GOLD, Hacienda Heights, California
melancholyflame GOLD, Hacienda Heights, California

"We should enjoy each moment of our existence, because everyday is the first day of the rest of our lives." --Melanie Y.

Miley Cyrus may be on her way to being her own “wrecking ball”.

Many people have been characterizing Cyrus as an inappropriate, promiscuous girl. After the 2013 Video Music Awards (VMA) performances, however, the entire world made its already harsh attack on Cyrus even worse. Her old “Hannah Montana” fans, family and friends criticize and ridicule her for her individuality. Even celebrities who just happened to be watching the VMA have made fun of her and her performance.

For example, celebrity Trevor Donovan sent out a tweet satirizing the infamous star.

“Drinking Game! Take a drink every time the camera shows an audience member looking uncomfortable during Miley Cyrus' performance. #VMA's,” tweeted Donovan.

Google Chrome even has a new plug-in called “No Cyrus”—a tool that filters out words such as ‘twerk’, or anything else remotely related to the notorious pop singer.

Unfortunately, most people fail to see that Cyrus has been through extreme emotional trauma. With her fiancé of four years Liam Hemsworth cheating on her and then dumping her, and her parents finalizing their divorce right in front of her eyes, her life was and still is falling apart.

Cyrus never asked for the rumors about her personal life or her family’s falling-out, yet the tabloids are amplifying these issues by broadcasting her every wrong move.

In addition, her life has gotten tougher since her Hannah Montana days. After all, Cyrus has to attempt to ignore her problems in order to concentrate on her exceedingly hectic schedule.

“All I do is work, so I eat to live and to keep going. People are impressed with me because I can sleep for just forty-five minutes [in a day]—I’m used to it,” Cyrus said in an interview.

To put things in perspective, we commonly complain about getting only five hours of sleep, yet Cyrus, sleeps much less than this. She cannot be blamed for her public stunts if that just happens to be her way of dealing with her lack of sleep and reducing her stress.

Everybody has his or her own ways of coping with problems; some people retreat into their own minds, others eat and still others try to ignore everything to move on in life. As for Cyrus, she publicly acts in a provocative, often times disturbing manner.

Furthermore, now that Cyrus is a twenty-year old young adult, many of her fans, haters and critics all compare her to the ‘old Miley’ and the ‘Hannah Montana of long ago’. This is one major reason as to why everyone is sick of her recent antics—people continue to associate Cyrus with her sweet, innocent adolescent self. No one seems to be able to accept the fact that she is all grown up.

Some people may believe that Cyrus’s behavior is more like a child’s—irresponsible and rash—
but people need to remember that she grew up around bad influences. Her child-actress career started at the tender age of twelve. She was surrounded by a corrupted entertainment industry with drug-dealing celebrities, and this shaped her into the woman she is today.

Now that Cyrus wants to change her “nice girl” image, it is hard for everybody to take it in all at once.

She is much too often misinterpreted and too quickly judged.
People need to give Cyrus a chance. She has come far as a singer and actress—she deserves a second chance from her ‘haters’.

I just thought someone should try seeing these things from a new perspective. I don't like to hate on people just because other people are.

1234 said...
on Nov. 14 2014 at 11:07 am
it truu thye keep hating on her she's just growing up like a regular person

Haha I'm glad you liked it! I know right? I did some research on Miley too--she's had to go through so much ): It really annoys me when people hate on someone based on his or her superficial looks or actions.

KaylaaLovee GOLD, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

"Imperfection is beauty. Madness is genius. And its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring. And when it comes down to it, I let them think what they want. If they care enough to bother with what I do, I'm already better than them."

I love & agree with this article so much because most people are so negitive towards Miley and never even think to look at it from her perspective. I totally think Miley isnt the best role model but i also dont think she deserves to be put down for her actions.