TrashTheFacebookHashtags | Teen Ink

TrashTheFacebookHashtags

By Kaitlyn Nguyen BRONZE, Spokane, Washington
Kaitlyn Nguyen BRONZE, Spokane, Washington

#TrashTheFacebookHashtags
An unknown phenomenon is sweeping throughout the Facebook world. Users of multiple social media sites, like me, see it on Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr think nothing of it. But, seeing this writing convention on Facebook is abnormal and unnecessary. Baffling social media users; with the question of, “Why are hashtags being used on Facebook?”
In August of 2007, hashtags were born, their creator, Chris Messina. Messina's reason for creating a hashtag was to be used as, 'a way to group conversations on Twitter.' Messina’s orginal definition hasn’t strayed far because Twitter’s Help Center definition of a hashtag is, “The # symbol, called a hashtag, is used to mark keywords or topics in a Tweet. It was created organically by Twitter users as a way to categorize messages.”

Facebook doesn't categorize messages or group conversations together; you just stay on the current webpage you are on with a useless hashtag staring at you.
The only time when a hashtag on Facebook is acceptable is if something is shared from a website such as Twitter or Instagram, where hashtags do function correctly.
So, before you post that status followed by a hashtag, think to yourself and ask, "Do I really want to post this hashtag that doesn't have a reason to be used?"