School Technology | Teen Ink

School Technology

May 2, 2013
By Eric Lundy SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Eric Lundy SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Alright, who wants to go get the C.O.W. from the library?” my teacher asked.

This question was the most absurd thing I had heard in school. What kind of school has a cow in the library? I thought. My literal brain believed it was an actual cow, but in actuality, C.O.W. stood for computers on wheels; and it was something I found nearly as ridiculous. My question then changed to this: What kind of school is rich enough for laptops? While my middle school may have had a reputation as one of the wealthiest schools in the area, the laptops didn’t cost an insane amount of money. With the development of technology, computers and other electronics have become relatively cheap, and therefore more available.

In all honesty, I believe as technology becomes more prevalent in education, people will begin to lose abilities. Penmanship and focus will begin to degrade. With the over use of computers, people won’t be hand writing much anymore. Due to the speed of computers and the vast amount of information available through them, it is becoming harder for people to stay on task. While there may be plenty of educational information on the internet, there seems to be over double that amount in entertainment. And knowing teens, what would the computers be used for? Yep, you guessed it. For most teens, learning and education takes a back seat to entertainment and fun.