My Tattoo Theory | Teen Ink

My Tattoo Theory

February 13, 2013
By cristi. GOLD, Cincinnati, Ohio
cristi. GOLD, Cincinnati, Ohio
10 articles 12 photos 1 comment

For a long time now I have wanted a tattoo, but my family is completely against the idea, saying things like, “You’ll regret it!” and, “You may not want that in 10 years!” Well all I have to say is, “Who cares?” Why is life always thought about in future tense? What happened to the present? The here and now? You never know how long you’re going to live, so why not do what you want when you can? If you want something, then who cares? Just do it. If it makes you happy for a certain period of time then that should be enough. I, personally, want to make mistakes. I want to do stupid things and learn from them. I want to get a tattoo and feel like the coolest person alive for however long I want and in the future, if I don’t like it, who cares? I liked it at one point and that should be enough. I want to be young, I want to be bold. I don’t want to have to focus on the rest of my life right now because well, I have the rest of my life to do that. We were given a blank slate, why not decorate it? Life is about expressing yourself and my generation is all about that. In the future, tattoos will be the norm so why does it matter? I know older people are wise and have experience, but I want to learn for myself. I don’t want to be told what to do just because in the past it’s been proven to work. I mean what is the fun in playing the game when you know the end result? How can you put life into any problem when you already know the answer? I want to make my own decisions and pay my own consequences. I would rather look back on my life and think, "I may have messed up, but I had fun doing it," than think, "Wow, there are so many things I never did, so many things I regret not doing…" It’s proven that most people regret more things they didn’t do than more things they did. Life is about living in the moment. So much time is wasted thinking about the future that we forget to focus on what’s right in front of us. It’s cool to have a tattoo when you’re young, not when you’re old. So get one now and it’ll just be a part of you. If you get one when you’re old, there’s not as much excitement or passion. I know all of this is very cliché, but it’s my theory on why it doesn’t matter if you get a tattoo.