Instant Gratification

Lonely? Send a text and get a reply within minutes. Bored? Download a game. Craving a coffee? Walk to the corner and get a Mocha Frappacino from Starbucks. Really want some new shoes, a new skirt, or those super cute earrings? Order them online and select the premium overnight shipping. Tired? Take one of those "non-habit forming" sleep medicines, that'll put you out in an instant. What do all of these things have in common? Instant gratification. Basic definition: you want something, you get it immediately, without waiting, without delay. Most think that's how the modern world works. But life? Life doesn't work like that.

If you truly want something in your heart, you should be willing to do whatever it takes to get it. Even if that means waiting years and years and finally fulfilling your burning desire. The desire shouldn't die out over the years if it's really authentic; if anything, it should grow, like adding wood to a fire. This is the proof that you're not just getting caught in the moment, you're not just jumping on the bandwagon. The best things in life are worth waiting for, you can't just download a happy marriage, you can't just order online a successful business, you can't just run to the store and pick up a healthy body.

So then what's the problem if we know that life isn't instantly gratifying? Well that's the thing, we don't know; or rather, some of us don't know. Society tries to coax us into thinking that life is all about getting what we want, when we want it. "Lose 40 pounds in just 2 weeks!" "Join this site and immediately get popular on Instagram!" "Read this book and immediately improve your test scores!" You want to know how to lose weight? Eat healthy and exercise. You want to know how to get popular on Instagram? Post good pictures and be nice. You want to know how to improve your test scores? Study. Simple as that. But to truly do all of these things, the right way, one need to take time to do it. And it might be hard, you might suffer to get what you want. There's a famous quote from Ghandi: "If you want the rainbow, you have to see the rain." So basically, if you want to get the good thing, you might have to experience some bad things in order to get there.

There's so many situations that aren't instantly gratifying, and there are a few that are. But, in reality, the best things in life are worth waiting for. You might not care, and that's okay, but if you take this concept into account next time you're anxious for something, you'll find your patience level rapidly increasing. So take a deep breath, step back, and enjoy your life while it lasts.