Impacts of Reality TV on Society | Teen Ink

Impacts of Reality TV on Society

Everyday, millions of people tune in to watch their favorite reality TV show. As a result, your everyday person becomes a replica of Kim Kardashian and your son suddenly begins to feel the need to be an Italian “Guido.” The purpose of this essay is to show the positive and negative effects of reality TV on society.

Reality TV has affected our society in several negative ways. To begin with, people imitate famous TV stars. For example, ever since the Kardashian- Jenner family became known to the world, many teens started becoming Kardashian- clones, which basically includes your average teen mixed with some attitude, more sex appeal, and a tendency to want expensive, material things. Because of this cloning, there is no longer a lot of individuality. Moreover, shows that were made to entertain us actually create stereotypes and assumptions about different groups. The MTV show Teen Mom, for instance, has given many people the thought that teens nowadays are stupid and irresponsible. Similarly, Jersey Shore, another MTV favorite, has made a reputation for New Jersey, which is that Jersey is full of crazy partiers who drink all the time. Even though these shows are on the “favorites- list” of many people, they are putting a lot of negativity on the shoulders of the world.

Reality TV may have its downs, but there is certainly a plus side. Through the Kardashian family, many charities and organizations are advertised. As a result, more people have begun making donations for those in need. Adding on, some reality TV shows raise awareness on certain things, such as online- dating. The newest MTV series Catfish, for example, conveys the journeys that average people take on when trying to meet their online- love in person. A lot of the time, the person on the other side of the screen is not who everyone expected. These types of shows draw attention to the dangers of talking to people you do not know, which can save many people from a broken heart, and the confusion that online- dating causes. Similarly, Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant show teenagers that having children at young ages is not a smart idea, considering the fact that you are put through so much at such an early time in your life; consequently, copious teens have realized that getting pregnant at a young age is “not cool.” Reality TV may be messing up society, but it makes up for that by helping it thrive to being better and stronger.

Different people take in reality TV in different ways; some see it as a threat to society, while others see it as something to lift it. Either way, reality TV does affect society both positively and negatively.

Jess2189 said...
on Sep. 19 2016 at 11:41 am
Jess2189,
This article is great. Very interesting on the large impact that reality tv has on our society.

on May. 27 2015 at 9:38 am
this article is true people do try to look stupid by acting like the reality telivison shows that's why i never watch or come near to watch then

on Jul. 29 2014 at 9:53 am
this article is saying vry true. our young generation is mad to watch these reality shows.they want expensive clothes,shoes etc.