Media's impact on beauty. | Teen Ink

Media's impact on beauty.

September 30, 2012
By ChestnutCurls BRONZE, Auburn, New York
ChestnutCurls BRONZE, Auburn, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is like a pen, you can't erase it but you can scratch it out" -Me


Everywhere we go, we are attacked with images of how women should look. The media tries to create false images in our minds. Our society passes those messages, forcing us to accept their "perfect" definition. The media usually has an effect on a girls' self-esteem. The way society thinks we should be cause cracks and dents into our health and mindsets.

Most models are made up in Photoshop. Nobody has perfect a perfect skin tone, lush and glossy hair, and absolutely no flaws in their entire body. Some say it is our flaws that make us unique and beautiful. However, the media refuses to believe such a thing. In an artist's mindset, a canvas should be clean, natural and easy to turn it into whatever they'd like. The model is a canvas and the artist is a designer. The model has to be as perfect as possible in order to make the product or clothing line look good. They also think, the thinner the model, the better the product or clothing looks. To an extent, this is true. But, nobody should be Barbie perfect.

It is said that if Barbie was a real person, she would die because they made her too thin. Not even her body would suffice in the real world. So, why even try and make it happen? Many girls including supermodels will starve themselves in order to obtain this improbable body image. It can be life threatening and nobody should go to that extreme. Healthy is beautiful.

Women are beautiful inside and outside. They shouldn't try to change who they are. Nothing is more attractive than a woman that feels beautiful in her own skin. Whether you're a size 10, a size 0, or in between, you are still gorgeous. No girl, or man even, should let the media decide how they feel about themselves.


What can you do about it?
Hopefully, the media will finally realize how unhealthy their being. There has been famous models that have died of anorexia nervosa. If any girl out there is worried and very self conscious about their weight, get up and do something healthy about it. It puts the body into something called starvation mode. This lowers the metabolism and can make it even harder to loose weight. Instead, watch what you eat, count your calories, go for a walk or run, sign up at a local gym, drop the soda and sweets and get a move on with your life. Don't sit around and gawk at these thin girls around you at school. Chances are, they are thin because of their lifestyles. Anybody can do it with a little bit of motivation. Appreciate yourself, your body and your life. Because, every single one of you is beautiful.


The author's comments:
I'm a model and I see the problem from the inside out.