Chasing Perfection | Teen Ink

Chasing Perfection

April 3, 2012
By likezerogravity BRONZE, Shah Alam, Other
likezerogravity BRONZE, Shah Alam, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Society across the globe has been relentless in promoting all sorts of perfection. The perfect hair, perfect group of friends, perfect body, and what is supposedly, the perfect life. But what society is projecting isn’t really perfection. It is only what they want us to think. They tell us what we should be like, when in reality, all we should ever want to be is ourselves. A better version of who we are now, yes, but still essentially ourselves.

Those who try to chase perfection find themselves running in circles, because since perfection doesn’t really exist, they are trying to achieve what is unattainable. Why that is so, is because the definition of perfection varies from person to person as we all have different views, making it impossible to find a single type of perfection that everyone agrees on.

It is unrealistic to expect a person to be perfect, because we, no matter where we come from, or who we are, still are human, at the end of the day. We don’t always do the right things or make the right decisions. In other words, we make mistakes. As much as we try, it is only inevitable to slip up at some point or other. Even in mass production, nothing is ever perfect. Mistakes, thankfully, do not define us – it is how we pick ourselves back up again, and the vigor in our perseverance.

Chasing perfection and aiming to be the best you can be are two completely different things altogether. While we can’t be perfect, nor should we try to be, we should put our best foot forward in everything that we do. Trying to do your best can’t do anything but propel you forward. It is a force that pushes us ahead, and aspirations to be the best that you can be should be what keeps you going.