Cutting Does Not Equal Emo

Cutting. It is something that has become very popular for many teens to do, around the world, in today's generation. When someone says the word, "cutting", some people will automatically think, "emo". I disagree. I feel that cutting and "being emo" should not be categorized together. For instance, there's a girl, let's call her...Jane. Jane is very popular at school. She is a varsity cheerleader and is also very popular with the boys. But Jane's home life is not too good. She has a father that drinks and therefore regularly beats her. Jane has never met her mother in her life. Jane deals with these things by cutting herself. Now, tell me readers, would you say that Jane is "emo"? Another example, a boy, named Mark chooses to wear dark colored shirts with different band name logos on them. He also chooses to wear dark skinny jeans and to dye his naturally blonde hair, jet black. Although most people would label Mark as "emo", Mark enjoys his life very much and has never done anything in his life that would be labeled as "self-harming". Now boys and girls, is Mark really emo? These two examples of Jane and Mark's lives are why I feel that being labeled as "emo" and cutting yourself for whatever reason do not, whatsoever, go together.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

XxRebelxX said...
I agree whole heartedly. I like to wear a lot of emo clothes and am steriotyped as so at school. to me; Not A Problem. People can call me what they like. But when they ask to see my scars or ask if I cut myself; then go on a rant about how "thats not emo," It makes me insane! Because simply, that is not the meaning of the steriotype and I'm not even the one who steriotypes myself in that way. Veryyyy good point you have thur XDD