Dangerous Dogs Need Defending | Teen Ink

Dangerous Dogs Need Defending

By Forsyth4 BRONZE, Wyndham Vale, Other
Forsyth4 BRONZE, Wyndham Vale, Other

We're campaigning, Jerry. To rule the people, one must walk among them.

Knocked down four times, get up five.

60% of the time, it works every time.

If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Two of the most common dog breeds in Australia are Staffordshire Bullterriers and Rottweiler’s, but in recent times these beloved animals have been the cause of attacks towards people and other pets. The string of recent attacks has caused people to recognize Staffie’s as dangerous animals and they are listed highly on the “most dangerous” or “most vicious” list.
Although these victims have a right to be mad at the attacking animal, most of them do not realize that it’s not the breed of dog, it is the breed of owner and the way they raise their animal.

In New South Wales, Staffie’s and Rottweiler’s are the most common dog breeds associated with attacks and there were 69 attacks reported over the 2008 financial year. Fifty-one of these victims were hospitalized and 18 of the attacks resulted in court action.

In Toowoomba, Staffie’s are the most owned breed of dog and they are also considered one of the most vicious. Toowoomba has 21, 596 registered dogs, 1119 are Staffie’s, 1029 are Labradors and 1020 are Maltese crosses. If these dogs are so vicious, then why do so many people own them?

Doesn’t anyone see the connection? Staffie’s have become a popular breed. It’s obvious that if a breed becomes popular their numbers will rise. Isn’t it a possibility that they’re only being noticed now because of how popular they are? Unfortunately, their increasing popularity increases the chance of them being owned by someone who will treat them horribly and raise them irresponsibly.

The people who are arguing that Staffie’s should be on the most vicious list do not realize that these animals have been subject to a poor upbringing. Sylvia Long of Onfire Staffords has been breeding and showing dogs for 15 years and says that a vicious Staffy is often not a pure breed and is more often mistaken for a pit bull. “You bring up any dog wrong and you’re going to have problems.” She is not surprised that Staffie’s are a popular breed. “They’re absolutely wonderful with children; a really fantastic family pet. They are a low maintenance, nurturing, smart, loyal, eager to please and they’re tough little vegemites.”

I have two dogs; Tasha is a purebred American Staffordshire Bullterrier, who we’ve had for two years, and Harry who is an eight month old English Staffy cross Rottweiler. I have had no problems with my dogs and they are the exact breed of animal that people are pronouncing to be dangerous. My dogs are loyal and great with not only myself, but my family and friends. They are the type of animals that Sylvia Long described. To put loving pets such as mine on this vicious list is absolutely ridiculous.

When a dog attacks a human or another pet, it gives the entire breed a bad name. People need to know that it isn’t the breeds fault. It is the owners fault. Why should an entire breed be punished because of an irresponsible owner? Irresponsible owners don’t train their pets so they end up being vicious. There is not much we can do except train our pets to be responsible, loyal and obedient.

This was written for my year 11 English class in 2011 and was presented as an oral presentation.