Swearing. Wtf?

In today society swearing is something that has become more and more socially acceptable. You could hear people swearing in almost any situation such as walking down the hall at school overhearing somebody talking about a less than favorable female teacher, in Dunkin Doughnut when an inpatient person gets the wrong flavor in their coffee, or even at home while your father is watching the football game and Brady misses the catch. Swearing is in music, movies and television shows on every show from iCarly to Southpark. This has become a cause of frustration and worry from parents, teachers and the FCC. Parents scold you and send you to your room, teachers give out detentions and the FCC won’t allow our favorite artists to perform an entertaining show. All this animosity caused by words that are considered vulgar or derogatory, which poses the question, why? Why are these select words so taboo to say? Ever try saying the F-bomb in a crowded place, if you have more likely than not you probably got a few dirty looks from people. I can somewhat understand peoples distain for the F-bomb considering it is a slang term for having sex but so is screw, obviously people don’t always use it that way. Most of the common swears people say have to meanings and because one of them isn’t good the word is considered rude which it can be, but not always. For example the F-bomb can be said in many different situations; when somebody hurts themselves, when somebody talks about various activities that may have happened in their bed room last night, or when somebody makes a mistake. It can mean oops, ouch, sex or it can just be a meaningless intensifier. So obviously not all forms of the word are bad. Don’t get me wrong I don’t want to hear thirty different swears in every sentence somebody says, I just wish people wouldn’t react to words with little meaning

deedee said...
The only reason there is so much swearing in music and in language is because people are not being brought up to respect our language.  And to respect their elders, who were taught that such language is not classy, professional, or desirable.  I have enjoyed LOTS of entertainment for years that had no profanity in it.  It is just accepted by the younger generation because so many people started using it and were not told not to.  I believe the fact that all the most popular... (more »)

Archeryguy said...
May 26, 2012 at 5:42 pm:
I agree completely. To elaborate on the subject of swearing at school, a double standard is imposed i.e. the teacher's phone rings, she answers it, curses someone out on the other end, my friend's phone rings and he says oh f--- and he gets two detentions: one for his phone ringing and another for cursing. wth

DHuntsman said...
May 22, 2012 at 4:18 pm:
"Screw you" is swearing too.  And you're touching on the correct point, but you haven't gotten it yet.  The words mean nothing.  The problem with swearing is that it demonstates your lack of self control and your distain for the rules of society.