Skinny | Teen Ink

Skinny

By Breeee BRONZE, Fort Campbell, Kentucky
Breeee BRONZE, Fort Campbell, Kentucky

A billboard in New York shows a way-to-thin model. Girls everywhere see this and think that is beauty. They all believe that weighing more than 90 pounds is sociably unacceptable. What they don’t know is that the model they saw on the billboard is an unrealistic goal, because she doesn’t even really look like that. Her picture has been cropped and edited to give the illusion of thin. The girls don’t know though. The girls think of themselves as fat, no matter what weight they are. Anorexia and bulimia become their best friends. Too bad the girls don’t realize that they are harming themselves. What is their ultimate goal? Skin and bones is what they hope to achieve. The girls who get down to the “acceptable weight” of 90 pounds still don’t feel thin enough. They continue to starve themselves and purge what they have eaten, trying to have their idea of a perfect body. What about the girls who just can’t reach that weight? They go into depression. They feel worthless and fat. If they can’t get help soon enough, some of them even kill themselves. Are you happy now society? You’ve turned a whole generation of girls into a self-conscious bunch. The sad thing is that you don’t even care. You don’t care that so many girls have turned into skin and bones because of the pictures you portray. You don’t care that so many girls have died because of portrayal of beauty. You’re basically harming innocent girls. Why would you care though? You’re selling magazines, weight loss pills, laxatives, and false hope. You’re getting money from telling girls they aren’t skinny enough to be considered beautiful. All of you making money off girl’s insecurities can rot in hell.

Society has ruined my generation. So many girls nowadays believe that if they aren't skin and bones that they are fat and ugly. But that isn't true. Everyone is beautiful.