"Emo" | Teen Ink

"Emo"

November 1, 2011
By Anonymous

This whole emo thing? It’s bullshit. And this is coming from a (maybe even overly-) emotional person, too.

I think it’s a terrible subculture that doesn’t just speak to people who are depressed (that’s actually a good thing), but it actually glamorizes depression, making more people to want to be depressed. And I formed this opinion due to personal experiences…

…I know a lot of so-called emos. Hey, I’ve even been called an emo a million times before, myself. But the people I’m talking about actually call THEMSELVES “emo” and they wear their label with pride.
They dress wear teased hair, skinny jeans, and band trees. They listen to bands like Bring Me The Horizon and All Time Low. I don’t mind any of this. I mean, dress how you want, listen to what you want, be your own person. I won’t judge you. I don’t mind any of this, no.
What I mind is this: the people I know, the ones that call themselves “emos” tend to laugh about things like rape, self-harm, suicide, abuse, etc. They act like it’s the funniest thing in the world. For example, they’ll say things like “I’m going to kill myself. Life sucks” in a giggly voice when the minor problems in life are thrown at them. They have great lives and they don’t even realize it. I mean, I know people can appear to have a great life on the outside, but are really hurt on the inside. But the way they joke about depression makes me think that they haven’t realized what it’s really like to be depressed.
They cut little tiny scars themselves and then show, everyone, as if they’re begging for attention. There are a lot of actual cutters out there, and most of them, don’t show people so freely like that. I know a lot of the ones who ARE doing it for attention may be doing it as a cry for help but the “emos” I know seem to be doing it because they think it’s “cool” and “rebellious” when it’s just sad.
Depression is the new in-thing. And what’s that like to people who really are depressed? I can’t speak for everyone, but it’s very belittling. Very mocking. It makes it seem like depression isn’t a real thing. It makes it seem like depression is this phase you can get over quickly. In reality, that’s not how it is. I mean, it might be that way for some people. But, not for me, and not for a lot of other people I know.


The author's comments:
I wrote this opinion piece based on personal experience and I apologize to everyone who identifies as an "emo." if I've offended them. I can't speak for all of you. I can only talk about the ones I know. Sorry.