Trends & Identity | Teen Ink

Trends & Identity

By shreydesai GOLD, Saratoga, California
shreydesai GOLD, Saratoga, California

"The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do."

Identity is something that all people are born with. It's actually really simple because your identity is what you used to approach this world. When you were born, the hospital records had your name on it, the hospital also had your birthdate and everything else. You were born with citizenship, and dignity towards your parents and your country. The controversial topic nowadays is actually what you were born with. Maybe you weren't born with anything. There are plenty of people in this world who weren't born with anything and were really poor. So in cases like these, a person and a child still has authority and still has an identity, but not necessarily saying that the child has a proven identity. I'm not saying either that his/her identity is famous.

People of all ages, people born into the world all have identities. But some selective people in this world have identities which are known by the whole world, or at least an entire nation. Famous people have famous identities. Some of these people include Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, President Obama, and millions more.

What I'm saying is that all people in this world have identities. They are born with identities. Though, not all people in this world have identities which are well known. Those identities which are well known are named as celebrities. When a person is born, they have an identity. According to Thomas Merton, Contemplation in a World of Action, he states that identities are far more than the name or features someone is born with.

I completely disagree on that because everyone born into this world are unique and different. It's all because we have different identities. Let's say we didn't have identities. Let's say that the whole world was the same and everyone had the same name, same features, and same everything. This "world" we talk about isn't that exciting cause everyone is doing the same thing. These kind of theories are actually being sponsored in society. Many people are doing the same thing. Wearing the same type of clothes, listening to the same genre of music, doing the same activities, wanting to attend the same colleges. When another lad comes along and wears some other type of clothes and listens to some other type of music, does a strange activity, and doesn't go to college, he is shunned by society and called an outsider.

Wait what? He's called an outsider. Whoa isn't that kind of extreme? Is it because he's different, no it's because he has a unique identity. It's all because this lad is unique and he is different and he isn't following the show mentality. Show/Social Mentalities are the forms of groups and trends which everyone wants to follow because they are afraid to show their identity. Many philosophers in this world have even stated, "Be yourself, everyone is taken." That is completely true. Everyone is taken. So be yourself, and have your own identity. Don't listen to anyone who defeats your purpose and lowers your self-esteem cause they are wrong, and you are right. You are controlling your own brain, not somebody else.

In conclusion, everyone is born with an identity. It's what separates them from other communities and other people. Not everyone has a famous identity, but still everyone is still born with something. Everyone is unique and different in this world. This is why we have inventions and prosperous events. Everyone is different.

I was inspired to write this essay after experiencing people who weren't always fitting into the trends that were going on.